SBS-1 loosing connection after 2-3 weeks

The place to chat about using the BaseStation / SBS systems, ask questions, and to post any tips, tricks or stories about how you've used it. We'd also like to hear any suggestions you have for new functionality which we can add to the system.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

radarfan

SBS-1 loosing connection after 2-3 weeks

Postby radarfan » July 19th, 2009, 9:11 pm

I'm a owner of
SBS-1 5V
SBS-1 12V
SBS-1e
and have tried many different computers (HP, DELL, ASUS, noname) and have the same problem om all versions of the radar with all computers.
When Basestation have been running for about 2-3 weeks (without turning off the software), all airplanes disappears from the screen. Restart of Basestation doesn't solve the problem, and a restart of the computer doesn't neither solve the problem. The computer has to be completely turned off, so the USB-port get no power, and then turned on again. Now basestation/sbs-1 works again and all airplanes are visible.

This happens on both XP and Vista, so I think it's an SBS-1 issue, if it's running to long time.

What can I do the get rid of this problem?

KineticChris
Site Admin

Good question

Postby KineticChris » July 19th, 2009, 9:20 pm

I know many that never get turned off at Museums and so forth
There are also many in commercial applications that are running 24/7 so not sure where your issue lays.

I would turn off auto updates and sceduled scans to start with.

My main one here at home has been on solid since 15/8/2007 it runs SBS populate and that is it

Any one else have any advice??

Regards
Chris Taylor

KineticChris
Site Admin

Sorry just re read your post.

Postby KineticChris » July 19th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Sorry just re read your post.

If it does it again close down basestation unplug the lead from the back of the SBS and put it in again it should restart OK.

I can sometimes invoke that if I run high power on HF (80m) at the shop
Do you have anything that transmits?

Regards
Chris Taylor

radarfan

Postby radarfan » July 19th, 2009, 10:43 pm

The problem is that the computers and SBS-1 are 2000 km from my home.

All autoupdates are turned off.
No other software are running on the computers.

As I wrote, this happends on different computers, with different versions of SBS and different versions of Windows. After 2-3 weeks the connection just disapears, on all computers. This have not happend 3-4 times, but 100 of times during 3 years, and since I cannot access the computers I want to find a sollution, where I don't have to access the computer/sbs-1 physically.

And as I wrote, a restart of the computer (which I can do remotly) doesn't help, because the USB-power stays on during a restart. This is really a big BIG problem for me.

I think that the sbs-1 shouldn't crash every 2-3 weeks, and if it does, there should be some kind of tool to reset the sbs-1 remotly.

40482A

Re: SBS-1 loosing connection after 2-3 weeks

Postby 40482A » July 19th, 2009, 11:14 pm

radarfan wrote:This happens on both XP and Vista, so I think it's an SBS-1 issue, if it's running to long time.

Like Chris I run my sbs-1 24/7 and have done for 18 months now.
I wouldn't say it was an sbs1 problem , it is more likely to be a driver / lead problem. You say you have all three models of sbs , is it doing the same on all three?
People have the right to be stupid, but some abuse that privilege !

John

http://www.northamptonballoonfestival.net

http://www.trainsite.co.uk

radarfan

Postby radarfan » July 20th, 2009, 5:29 am

As I wrote, this happends on ALL combinations of configurations.

I just came home from Greenland where I setup a new SBS-1e radar last week. Last plane was visible yesterday at 16:07. Since then no aircraft has shown up. So I assume that the sbs-1 has crashed again, but this time after only 5 days. This night I have restarted basestation and the computer (remotly), and still there are no planes on the radar. So my last solution right now seems to be, turn off the computer, and call someone to drive to the computer/sbs-1 and turn it on again.

Like Chris I run my sbs-1 24/7 and have done for 18 months now.

Haven't you turned off your basestation for 18 months? The problem shows up, not if the computer is on for 2-3 weeks, but when basestation has be running for 2-3 weeks, without break.

DaveReid

Postby DaveReid » July 20th, 2009, 6:05 am

radarfan wrote:Haven't you turned off your basestation for 18 months? The problem shows up, not if the computer is on for 2-3 weeks, but when basestation has be running for 2-3 weeks, without break.

I've had this happen too - I run my PC/BaseStation for typically a month or so between reboots, and over the past 4 years I've lost traffic coverage 3 or 4 times in total. When it has happened, I've fixed it by unplugging the SBS from the PC, which I appreciate isn't an option in your case.

While it's not a fix, a possible workaround might be something like this:

http://www.remotepowerswitch.com

mhm

Postby mhm » July 20th, 2009, 6:11 am

Hi i can confirm that my SBS1 is one of the first models produced serial 00737 and has been running 24/7 365 apart from when we moved. Runs perfectly would not be without it.

The only problem i have now is broadband drops connection 50 times a day. This is not a SBS1 problem but a BT problem due to be sorted today.

KineticChris
Site Admin

Screen

Postby KineticChris » July 20th, 2009, 8:03 am

Hi

Can you do a screen shot of a machine that it happens on?

Can I also ask why you left it so long before mentioned it?

I can honestly say this is not a common problem and we Are all scratching our heads a bit.

Regards
Chris Taylor

radarfan

Postby radarfan » July 20th, 2009, 8:38 am

In the beginning I only had Dell computers, and thought that it could be a DELL-USB problem. Recently a have setup more radars and computers from other producers, and could eliminate the problem is releted to the computer brand. I have also setup more radars far away from home and for every new radar this becomes a bigger issue for me.

Screenshot can be found on http://www.konsult3.se/sbs1.jpg

KineticChris
Site Admin

Why not Ethernet

Postby KineticChris » July 20th, 2009, 12:41 pm

If you are using the remotely would it not be better to use the Ethernet option?
The screen shown shows no errors so dificult say what is causing it.
A few things to check

Are you straight in the PC? Not Via Hub
Have you tried new USB lead?
The only other possibility is you may have voltage drop at your remote location so maybe a voltage sensitive UPS

Regards
Chris Taylor

40482A

Postby 40482A » July 20th, 2009, 6:51 pm

radarfan wrote:
Haven't you turned off your basestation for 18 months? The problem shows up, not if the computer is on for 2-3 weeks, but when basestation has be running for 2-3 weeks, without break.

I have turned it off in the 18 months but typically it is on for anywhere between 2-4 months with basestation running constantly.

John

radarfan

Re: Why not Ethernet

Postby radarfan » July 20th, 2009, 9:43 pm

chrisg0wtz wrote:If you are using the remotely would it not be better to use the Ethernet option?

I use it remotely, but the radar is connected to a computer locally. Of course that I can use the network option and this seems to be the only solution right now. But if you buy something with a USB-port you assume that you can use the USB-port. A change to Ethernet will cost me some time and money and probably some flight tickets as some of the radars are located far away from civilisation.

And as I wrote some of the radars are the old model without ethernet, so I have to accept crashes every second week for this radars I assume?

chrisg0wtz wrote:A few things to check

Are you straight in the PC? Not Via Hub
Have you tried new USB lead?
The only other possibility is you may have voltage drop at your remote location so maybe a voltage sensitive UPS

I don't use a USB-hub, but another solution may be to use a USB-hub that requires external power, and use a timer, to switch of the power to the hub (and indirectly SBS-1) once a day.

It could be the cable if this problem was on one computer, but this happens on all 8 radars that I own.

3 of this 8 radars have UPS and their SBS-1 crashes every 2-3 weeks just like the other radars.

I just remembered that I have helped an SBS-1 user in Stavanger, Norway that some months ago asked me why all his airplanes have disappeared from his basestation after some weeks.

And I can see in this discussion that there are more users with the same problem. So I'm 100% sure that this is an SBS-1 USB issue, and since it seems you don't really belive in this, the only solution seems to be to use ethernet.

I have used ethernet on some of this radars for testing, but only to connect remotly direct, without a local computer. And this was not a stable solution, but a assume that is because of that the internet connection wasn't really stable. If there is a local network, I really hope that it will be more stable, but something tells me that I'm wrong. From my tests the ethernet port on SBS-1 seems to act really really strange. I can't describe it, but that ethernet port from my tests gave a impression of being more unstable than the USB. The reason why I choosed to use USB on my radars was the unstable impression I get from the Ethernet-port. The limit of only allowing one ethernet connection is a big misstake I think.

Actually I think that one reason that I haven't reported this earlier, is because I didn't expect any solution to the crashing USB-port on SBS-1 on 2-3 radars, and I now realize that I was right, but today it's not 2-3 radars but 8.

Thanks anyway for your time and answers.

40482A

Postby 40482A » July 21st, 2009, 7:10 am

radarfan wrote:
I just remembered that I have helped an SBS-1 user in Stavanger, Norway that some months ago asked me why all his airplanes have disappeared from his basestation after some weeks.

What help and advice did you give him if you don't know the answer?

John

radarfan

Postby radarfan » July 21st, 2009, 7:23 am

40482A wrote:
radarfan wrote:

What help and advice did you give him if you don't know the answer?

He restarted Basestation and the computer without succes. I told him that he has to turn of the computer.

Return to “Discussion”