SBS-1 loosing connection after 2-3 weeks

The place to chat about using the BaseStation / SBS systems, ask questions, and to post any tips, tricks or stories about how you've used it. We'd also like to hear any suggestions you have for new functionality which we can add to the system.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

jmhayes

Re: SBS-1 loosing connection after 2-3 weeks

Postby jmhayes » January 26th, 2012, 5:37 pm

clubbtraxx wrote:The remote power switch is ethernet enabled, so you can control it from anywhere without the need of an extra computer.

I'm having a hard time understanding what your motivation is here. I've already said that I can't easily power cycle the SBS-1 (in fact if you rad the whole topic, you'll see the various extra ways I've tried-and-failed to reset the SBS-1), but you seem to think I've missed something. What you're saying is that I'm doing something wrong rather than simply documenting additional instances of what I beleve to be a bug in the firmware.

I do not have AC power at the site, so using the product that you suggest will not work for me. I also do not have the ability to get to another ethernet device without support from a VPN. Does this product have support for a VPN? If you find a 12V switch that has support for a VPN and has a built-in ethernet switch so that adding an additional device does not cause me to need an ethernet switch[*] then by all means, I could consider adding additional power load to my already strained resource of batteries and solar panels on a mountaintop.
Your 12V supply will take it's mains power from somewhere...

No, it will not.
Your typical fw flash memory is not made to withstand more than a few writes... Hard to tell how many times it will last but it may be less than you think.

I'll be sure to let you know if I ever hear of an SBS-1 whose flash has failed due to too many writes.

[*] http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/securelinx-spider.html is a product that has this handy feature. It's a KVM of course, but you get the idea.

coupe

Postby coupe » January 26th, 2012, 10:16 pm

At some point you are going to have to realize the SBS-1 is a defective product for your particular application, and that since it is no longer supported, you will have to find a replacement product. Might as well be now.

There's a lot of good receivers to choose from.

jmhayes

Postby jmhayes » January 26th, 2012, 10:40 pm

coupe wrote:At some point you are going to have to realize the SBS-1 is a defective product for your particular application, and that since it is no longer supported, you will have to find a replacement product. Might as well be now.

There's nothing about this defect that's a show-stopper for me; it's annoying to lose data until I figure out that it has gone TU, but I'm not about to throw it in the bin. I want only to keep it on the "active" bug list in the hope that it doesn't get forgotten; who knows, maybe it'll get fixed in some other way. Giving up on the product -- and I have more than a handful of them -- would be premature (not to mention costly) in my situation.
There's a lot of good receivers to choose from.

Indeed, and I think I own at least one of each :)

I do find it interesting that the first product out of the door -- the SBS-1 -- still maintains what I think is a quite substantial lead in functionality provided by the database that BaseStation maintains. I realize that not everyone cares about this historical value of the data, and for those people a $100 receiver and PlanePlotter is fine. Alas, my interest is *mostly* with the historical database, and I don't see anyone presently shipping product that has as much value for me as BaseStation.

We're drifting. This thread is about a particular bug report.

bones

Postby bones » January 27th, 2012, 1:55 am

I do find it interesting that the first product out of the door -- the SBS-1 -- still maintains what I think is a quite substantial lead in functionality provided by the database that BaseStation maintains

When a completely new product is brought onto the market it's a tricky thing getting it right first time. You can guess what the users might want but you won't truly know until the unit is out and in use. Mostly I think Kinetic did a good job with Basestation and in leaving the outline and waypoint file system open to adaption it gave us a great ability to tune the display to our liking.

The original XML data files for each aircraft were not so good but they worked on it and gave us a good solution. The original VDB database proved to be a wrong turn but at least it showed the right way forward. The jump to SQL was much better. That and the many improvements/releases of BaseStation have made it a good bit of software. Having said that there is always still room for improvement.

clubbtraxx

Postby clubbtraxx » January 29th, 2012, 2:20 pm

jmhayes wrote:
clubbtraxx wrote:The remote power switch is ethernet enabled, so you can control it from anywhere without the need of an extra computer.

I'm having a hard time understanding what your motivation is here. I've already said that I can't easily power cycle the SBS-1 (in fact if you rad the whole topic, you'll see the various extra ways I've tried-and-failed to reset the SBS-1), but you seem to think I've missed something. What you're saying is that I'm doing something wrong rather than simply documenting additional instances of what I beleve to be a bug in the firmware.

I do not have AC power at the site, so using the product that you suggest will not work for me. I also do not have the ability to get to another ethernet device without support from a VPN. Does this product have support for a VPN? If you find a 12V switch that has support for a VPN and has a built-in ethernet switch so that adding an additional device does not cause me to need an ethernet switch[*] then by all means, I could consider adding additional power load to my already strained resource of batteries and solar panels on a mountaintop.
Your 12V supply will take it's mains power from somewhere...

No, it will not.
Your typical fw flash memory is not made to withstand more than a few writes... Hard to tell how many times it will last but it may be less than you think.

I'll be sure to let you know if I ever hear of an SBS-1 whose flash has failed due to too many writes.

[*] http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/securelinx-spider.html is a product that has this handy feature. It's a KVM of course, but you get the idea.

I don't think you are missing something, I just didn't go trough this loooong thread all over again.
I only tried to be of help, which obviously you are not appreciating so I will refrain from showing you a source for a piece of hardware that could just do exactly what you need.

DaveReid

Postby DaveReid » January 29th, 2012, 2:44 pm

clubbtraxx wrote:I only tried to be of help, which obviously you are not appreciating so I will refrain from showing you a source for a piece of hardware that could just do exactly what you need.

You could tell us instead, and then we could pass it on to the OP without saying where we got it from.

clubbtraxx

Postby clubbtraxx » January 29th, 2012, 2:46 pm

DaveReid wrote:
clubbtraxx wrote:I only tried to be of help, which obviously you are not appreciating so I will refrain from showing you a source for a piece of hardware that could just do exactly what you need.

You could tell us instead, and then we could pass it on to the OP without saying where we got it from.

Very funny Dave...

jmhayes

Postby jmhayes » January 29th, 2012, 3:36 pm

clubbtraxx wrote:I will refrain from showing you a source for a piece of hardware that could just do exactly what you need.

Thanks just the same, although I'm not looking for a piece of hardware to solve a problem. i'm simply looking to document a problem in the SBS-1.

Return to “Discussion”