AOR AR8200Mk3

The place to chat about using the BaseStation / SBS systems, ask questions, and to post any tips, tricks or stories about how you've used it. We'd also like to hear any suggestions you have for new functionality which we can add to the system.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

Typhoon

AOR AR8200Mk3

Postby Typhoon » October 24th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Apart from paying for the Firmware License code what else do I need to use the Radio Interface,

Im going to be getting an AR8200Mk3 shortly, is the cable that goes into the SBS-1 supplied with the AR8200, sent with the License code or is it an extra to buy?
Typhoon

scottjo_woking

Postby scottjo_woking » October 24th, 2006, 7:16 pm

Hi

You need to purchase the cable separately and be warned its expensive at around £75.

Jon

Typhoon

Postby Typhoon » October 24th, 2006, 7:20 pm

Thanks for the warning, and what sort of price would the License code be?
Typhoon

Woodsie

Postby Woodsie » October 24th, 2006, 8:10 pm

Typhoon

Postby Typhoon » October 24th, 2006, 8:19 pm

Cheers Guys, I think Ill just use the AR8200 as a stand alone Scanner, for price of the extras I could get the External antenna kit for the SBS-1 :roll:
Typhoon

KineticWill

Re: AOR AR8200Mk3

Postby KineticWill » October 25th, 2006, 8:04 am

Typhoon wrote:Apart from paying for the Firmware License code what else do I need to use the Radio Interface,

Im going to be getting an AR8200Mk3 shortly, is the cable that goes into the SBS-1 supplied with the AR8200, sent with the License code or is it an extra to buy?

You don't have to plug the scanner into the SBS1. You can plug it into your PC using the cable that (I guess) comes with the scanner and still control it from BaseStation (provided you've purchased the radio interface option). You only need to plug it into your SBS-1 if you don't have a serial port on your PC (which is the case with some laptops).
Will Howliston, Kinetic Avionic Products Limited
Lead developer, Basestation software

Allocator

Postby Allocator » October 25th, 2006, 8:43 am

KineticWill wrote:You don't have to plug the scanner into the SBS1. You can plug it into your PC using the cable that (I guess) comes with the scanner and still control it from BaseStation (provided you've purchased the radio interface option). You only need to plug it into your SBS-1 if you don't have a serial port on your PC (which is the case with some laptops).

Will, I don't think that the PC cable comes with the AR8200 and it does cost £75 which seems very pricy :shock:

I'm using an AR8000 with an Optolinx interface which I'm about to replace with a cable that I'm putting together using instructions on the internet - cost £6.60 including p&p :)

I guess that's progress - upgrade the radio, increase the cost :roll:
SBS-1
RadarBox
PlanePlotter
ShipPlotter

www.assaultglidertrust.co.uk
www.rafars.org

Typhoon

Postby Typhoon » October 25th, 2006, 6:02 pm

Is it the 8200PC cable thats on the AOR web page?

I dont have a serial port on my laptop but do have a Serial to USB adaptor cable, I suppose this would do the same job.

(Cable still a bit pricey though :shock: )
Typhoon

Allocator

Postby Allocator » October 25th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Typhoon wrote:Is it the 8200PC cable thats on the AOR web page?

I dont have a serial port on my laptop but do have a Serial to USB adaptor cable, I suppose this would do the same job.

(Cable still a bit pricey though :shock: )

I think that it is this one:

This lead has a special connector at one end for fitting to the AR8200 AUX side socket and a 9-pin connector at the other end for fitting to a PC serial port. It is approximately 1 metre in length and has a built in level shift interface (no external power required).

£74.89 (€110.84) Including VAT at 17.5%
Ex-VAT Price: £63.74 (€94.34)

http://www.hamradio.co.uk/acatalog/AOR_ ... ories.html
SBS-1

RadarBox

PlanePlotter

ShipPlotter

www.rafars.org

Noel White

Postby Noel White » June 6th, 2009, 1:47 pm

G'day Allocator,

Seeking some assistance. Looking, only looking at a AR8200 Mk3 that has popped up on eBay and noticed that you too have such a scanner. Do you use it with BaseStation (radio interface) and was it easy to setup? In other words, is it worth all the effort.

Appreciate any pointers.

TIA
Cheers for now,

Noel

Allocator

Postby Allocator » June 6th, 2009, 2:12 pm

Hi Noel,

Crikey, that was an old post of mine that you have replied to :-) I had to read back a bit to see what I was talking about in October 2006!

I don't actually have the AR8200, I have an old AR8000 that I made up a cable for and used with BaseStation.

There are other posts from me somewhere on this forum regarding the "Radio Interface" for BaseStation. Really, all it is is a key to unlock the radio menu in BaseStation. Short answer is, for me it didn't do what I wanted and I stopped using the interface.

The Radio Interface allows you to tune a compatible radio to one frequency only (and bear in mind that only certain radios are supported and I'm not aware of any additional radios being added to this list for over 2 years). The interface uses (as far as I remember) a user modifiable txt file to store the frequencies, so you will have to set this up to suit your area. By right clicking on an airfield - as set up in your file - you get a list of frequencies to choose from. Select a frequency and the radio is tuned to this frequency. Area Radar (en-route) frequencies are more difficult, as they cover large areas of the country, so right clicking is not an option, although you can set up your file so that a Nav Aid is your right clickable point for these frequencies. All the frequencies are also available from a drop-down menu on the main tool bar.

As I said, only one frequency is selectable at a time, and following aircraft as they change frequency is cumbersome. Frequencies can be entered directly using the pop-up "radio" interface too, providing you know what they are.

Scanning of more than one frequency is not possible.

I find that it's better just to use my AR8000 scanner loaded with all the local frequencies and not connected to my Mode S receiver (I don't use the SBS-1 any more, I use the "other" box) and then just stop the scanner if something comes up I'm interested in.

Please bear in mind that I'm going on what I remember of the BaseStation Radio Interface, and we all know what tricks time plays on the memory :-) Maybe a current user will be able to advise you here.

Hope this helps.
SBS-1

RadarBox

PlanePlotter

ShipPlotter

www.rafars.org

Noel White

Postby Noel White » June 7th, 2009, 12:10 am

Thank you for your reply Allocator. Much appreciated.

By the lack of activity on this subject in the forum, sounds like it's not worth the trouble. :(

Not being able to scan via the BaseStation interface is a bit of a worry and made me go cold on the idea. The scanner itself looks a nice piece of kit but can't justify the purchase plus the extras that is needed to make the interface system workable.

Thanks again and sorry about sending you down memory lane for your answer.
Cheers for now,

Noel

Allocator

Postby Allocator » June 7th, 2009, 8:48 am

No problem Noel,

The next version of the SBS-1, the SBS-1er is advertised as having an airband receiver built in, but unless I've missed something there haven't been any specific details posted as to what frequencies - VHF/UHF - and whether it will be a single frequency monitor or a scanner. I suspect single frequency and VHF only, but I could be wrong. If you already have an SBS-1, then this isn't going to help you either way though.

See this thread for more details:

http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forum ... 02&start=0

All the best

Allocator
SBS-1

RadarBox

PlanePlotter

ShipPlotter

www.rafars.org

Noel White

Postby Noel White » March 17th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Well to cut a long story short, I ended up purchasing the AOR AR8200Mk3 radio and the AOR radio to PC cable (USB version) and using it with the JAOR software. After reading the posts here, didn't bother getting the license key to use the external radio interface.

When Kinetic announced that the licence key was now free, applied thru the eStore for the key. Received e-mails asking for SBS serial number so that a key could be generated. Then BaseStation ver 159 released which now incorporates the radio interface and doing away the need for a key.

Installed v159, all OK, then decided to give the radio interface ago. Via settings, configured the AOR8200RadioIntf.biu file and the serial port and ticked the external radio tool bar as per the new setup instructions (pages 60 to 62). Now have the "External Radio" showing on the top line but greyed out. Also showing are only two of the five radio buttons. Unfortunately, it all seems to have hit a brick wall. Clicking on any of the buttons has no reaction.

Wondering if anybody else has struck this problem?
Cheers for now,

Noel

KineticChris
Site Admin

Postby KineticChris » March 18th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Hi Noel

How have you connected your AOR?
Does the little remote dot come on on the front?
Also Baud should be set to 9600 or 4800 (Can not remember)
You need to tell it the comm port you are using

Regards
Chris Taylor

Return to “Discussion”