ICOM PCR1000 Control

The place to chat about using the BaseStation / SBS systems, ask questions, and to post any tips, tricks or stories about how you've used it. We'd also like to hear any suggestions you have for new functionality which we can add to the system.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

aviaction

ICOM PCR1000 Control

Postby aviaction » March 20th, 2007, 11:51 pm

I am using my SBS 1 through USB port (via USB extenders), and have my Icom PCR-1000 connected via RS232 serial (Com1 on computer).

What I am still unsure about is that if I buy the Scanner "key" to enable access to PCR-1000 via the SBS1 serial com port, can I access and operate the PCR-1000 via it's own software while it is connected to the SBS1 comport???

I am not interested in the radio function in Basestation, I just want to be able to operate my Icom PCR1000 via the SBS1 to reduce wiring!

Many thanks
Steffi

Mr Phil

Re: ICOM PCR1000 Control

Postby Mr Phil » March 25th, 2007, 9:12 am

aviaction wrote:I am using my SBS 1 through USB port (via USB extenders), and have my Icom PCR-1000 connected via RS232 serial (Com1 on computer).

What I am still unsure about is that if I buy the Scanner "key" to enable access to PCR-1000 via the SBS1 serial com port, can I access and operate the PCR-1000 via it's own software while it is connected to the SBS1 comport???

I am not interested in the radio function in Basestation, I just want to be able to operate my Icom PCR1000 via the SBS1 to reduce wiring!

Many thanks
Steffi

Simple answer Steffi
No :wink:
I bought the "key" but found that If I wanted to scan the aircraft frequencies,I couldnt to it from the sbs.
I also have an Icom PCR-1000 and I live near Leeds Bradford so I put the "local" frequencies in the memory list so it can scan them.

You can make up a lead to control the PCR from the SBS once you have the "key". details for the lead are on the forum.
Hope this helps
Regards
Mr Phil
The Geek shall inherit the earth

M1PAC

aviaction

Postby aviaction » March 25th, 2007, 10:15 pm

Many thanks
already made lead. But not worth pursuing if I can't operate PCr1000 with Icom Software (or 2nd party) via SBS1 com port.
I will continue to operate PCR1000 via network cable, using D 9pin to rj45 homemade adapters each end. :(

G0RMA

Radio Key

Postby G0RMA » May 11th, 2007, 9:57 pm

Apart form the fact that it could have been added to the software, saving us £30. It seems to work the PCR 1000 quite well.

2 odditys though,
Squelch control is a dam odd affair, perhaps an update and add to main radio panel, perhaps on right of Volme slider.

Nice having the frequencies from menus, and easily modified. But a SCAN would be nice.

There, my 6 eggs worth
:D

Mr Phil

Re: Radio Key

Postby Mr Phil » May 13th, 2007, 9:57 pm

G0RMA wrote:Apart form the fact that it could have been added to the software, saving us £30. It seems to work the PCR 1000 quite well.

2 odditys though,
Squelch control is a dam odd affair, perhaps an update and add to main radio panel, perhaps on right of Volme slider.

Nice having the frequencies from menus, and easily modified. But a SCAN would be nice.

There, my 6 eggs worth
:D

Yep I agree, the Icom software is erm sorta ok .The big thing is it" scans " The frequencies I put in the BANK and has that VSC ,my PCR has DSP and that's a bonus :D I also have talk PCR its better but qwerky. HAM radio Deluxe ,Now that controlls it real SWEET along with a few more scanners and Ham radio's .I hav'nt found a better one yet.. anyone else found any other software that'l do it :?:
My sixpennath
Mr Phil
The Geek shall inherit the earth

M1PAC

jonthemon

pcr 1000

Postby jonthemon » January 10th, 2008, 3:22 pm

i have just purchased a 1000 but i need the knowledge to fit it. my sbs is in the loft below the ariel and is 20 yds away from the shed were i operate my pc conected by a cat5 cable.Can i operate the 1000 through the sbs on my pc without running a cable from the sbs to the 1000. and do i have to purchase the interface off kinetic before i start anything.Please keep it simple as i am not a geek. thanks for your time JOHN

Allocator

Re: pcr 1000

Postby Allocator » January 10th, 2008, 4:15 pm

jonthemon wrote:i have just purchased a 1000 but i need the knowledge to fit it. my sbs is in the loft below the ariel and is 20 yds away from the shed were i operate my pc conected by a cat5 cable.Can i operate the 1000 through the sbs on my pc without running a cable from the sbs to the 1000. and do i have to purchase the interface off kinetic before i start anything.Please keep it simple as i am not a geek. thanks for your time JOHN

John,

If I were you, I would operate the PCR independant of the SBS-1. The radio interface in BaseStation is very simple and doesn't really help much other than allowing you to right click on an airfield to select the frequency. It's useless for the airways frequencies and you can only listen to one frequency at a time.

I purchased the Radio interface (just a 'key' really that activates the interface) but having played with it, I don't use it any more. I use my PC controlled scanner with all the airways frequencies to get an "overview" of waht is happening. If I hear something interesting, I stop the scanner scanning and manually change frequencies (using the PC controls - not the SBS control) to follow the aircraft.
SBS-1
RadarBox
PlanePlotter
ShipPlotter

www.assaultglidertrust.co.uk
www.rafars.org

jonthemon

pcr 1000

Postby jonthemon » January 11th, 2008, 4:16 pm

many thanks allocator,i think i will take your advice

petersbrother

Postby petersbrother » April 5th, 2010, 10:01 am

Sorry to dig up such an old thread but i have only just registered here.I hope this will be usefull to someone.......Recently i aquired an SBS and PCR 1000 from my brother.After much searching the net for info on the PCR,i eventually have ended up running it seperately on my pc via a maplin ZP43W adaptor lead and the Ham Radio De luxe program.This program i can honestly say transforms the PCR well beyond the original program,can't recommend it highly enough!.hope this helps

aviaction

Postby aviaction » April 5th, 2010, 7:09 pm

helps having a separate monitor for the scanning software.

Samsung 7" powered and video signal via 2x usb connections.

KineticChris
Site Admin

Postby KineticChris » April 5th, 2010, 7:29 pm

A better software for PCR1000 is at this site http://www.mahy.demon.co.uk/

I use it minimised and it sits at the bottom of my SBS screen

However it is going soon for an IC-R2500

Regards
Chris Taylor

Return to “Discussion”