What do folk think?

The place to chat about using the BaseStation / SBS systems, ask questions, and to post any tips, tricks or stories about how you've used it. We'd also like to hear any suggestions you have for new functionality which we can add to the system.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

I would be interested in such an event

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 56

bones

Postby bones » June 21st, 2008, 12:43 am

Open days would probably appeal to a greater audience.

abrad41

Postby abrad41 » June 21st, 2008, 8:48 am

I voted Yes

Sounds a great idea to get to now people we commicate with on this forum and it can never be a bad thing to learn more.

Great Idea

Andy

SabreJV

Postby SabreJV » June 21st, 2008, 10:04 am

For me cost and time are the main reasons for voting No to a two day weekend event.

I'm all for a one day event similar to the Elstree Party that was held a few years back but at a different location further North say the Manchester area or perhaps the North East to make it easier for users away from the South East to attend. Such Open Days perhaps could be run as an annual event that could move to other locations around the UK, assuming sufficient numbers would attend.

If the venue was too far for me to get there in a one day round trip I would consider getting a B&B for a night stop which I think would keep the cost down for me.

While I see a benefit in using such an event to present and discuss SBS-1/Basestation tips and tweaks. I think we should really consider an Open Day as an SBS user 'social' gathering and the learning that results a bonus.

As was already mentioned the forum is the vehicle for a user asking questions to get up and running quickly and to ask about add-ons and whatever. I think the forum provides a near one to one interaction and usually you get very quick replies to questions. I don't think a user wants to wait months or maybe longer for an open day to happen to move forward with their SBS system.

What the forum does not do well is finding answers to questions asked and answered previously. If the problem being communicated to Chris regularly is that the SBS and Basestation is difficult to use and how do I do this..., then maybe we all need to think how documentation can be improved and how things are organised on the forum, so that information can be found easily.

Apologies as I've rambled somewhat off the topic but I thought I would explain why I voted - No.

regards
Sabrejv

allan senior

Postby allan senior » June 21st, 2008, 12:07 pm

On Page 5 of T.A.S. Winged Words, received this morning. is news of a social evening Monday 28th July.
'Dave Swann and friends' provide an evening with live demonstration about the SBS -1.

Have I seen Dave's name gracing this forum?

bones

Postby bones » June 21st, 2008, 2:20 pm

What the forum does not do well is finding answers to questions asked and answered previously.

I would certainly agree with that.

There are two problems that all forums have. One is that if the forum is popular even recent posts can run onto a second or third page. This isn't good because users tend not to start trawling around looking for an answer to a specific question. It's tedious for a start and you always get distracted with other posts that pop up and take you away from your line of enquiry.

The second problem is that the search functions are awful. It's been said before (and it's true) that it is faster to find a post by searching in Google than using the button at the top of the page.

You can reduce the post count in any forum by splitting it into several sub forums. This is quite good but can also become self defeating once the number of forums rises above a certain level - after which it becomes user unfriendly. We only have about ten forums here (I am guessing as I have more than the normal user has access to) and this is a reasonable number, but only a handful of these are seeing serious use (Discussion, Resources, Aviation).

Important issues can be highlighted by making the post a sticky so that it stays at the top of the page. Again this is only effective if these are kept to a minimum - I use another forum that has a page and a half of stickies so you always have to go to page 2 to see any new posts. Not good.

I would like to see a new forum section brought in use just for problem solving. I could then drag many such posts about these from the Discussion forum (many hidden away back on page 42 but still valid) to the new forum and strip out duplicate questions. I know we have an FAQ page but as it is read only it's not of great help.

cyril j fox

Postby cyril j fox » June 23rd, 2008, 8:09 am

Donnington would be ok by me but not to stop over just the meet
Cyril

M3ONL

Postby M3ONL » June 23rd, 2008, 4:10 pm

2 days away, no wife no kids - WHERE DO I SIGN UP

Adrian

Wellard

Open day

Postby Wellard » June 24th, 2008, 7:01 am

Hi all

Here we go again with that North South thing.

Why should it be in the North? and why should it be in the South? we do have an area called the Midlands you know. Unfortunately wherever it was it would be prohibitive to some, understandable, not all have the finances.

If I win the lottery this weekend I'll pay for everybody, Wife included.

Personally If health permitted I wouldn't be concerned where it is and would make the effort. A bit pricey though, would probably sort out my own digs if it run for 2 days.

You mention September Chris, I am tied up for a weekend in the South West with the Iron Man Triatholon (a spectator I hasten to add, my Son and Boss have entered), I bet it is that weekend. (They would't move it to my back garden)

Regards

Colin
Regards

Colin
Happy Hunting

APB

Postby APB » June 24th, 2008, 10:32 am

Bones
I would like to see a new forum section brought in use just for problem solving

Even with your editing etc. I suspect after a while we would still have the issues of the answers being embedded in numerous posts
Not that I've had any experience of setting one up but I wonder if a possible alternative could be a "WIKI" that we could update with the answers as they crop up. An advantage would be that when you get a variation on an existing problem you can expand the existing entry rather than create a new post. I don't know the practicalities of setting one up but just a thought.
Allan

Anmer

Postby Anmer » June 24th, 2008, 11:14 am

I agree Allan, a Wiki extension might be an answer (see also the Forum thread).
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

bones

Postby bones » June 24th, 2008, 2:02 pm

If I win the lottery this weekend I'll pay for everybody, Wife included.

Can I just send the wife then? :wink: :wink:

No more posts here of forum issues please - it's now a separate thread.

Wellard

Wife

Postby Wellard » June 25th, 2008, 6:53 am

Why not Bones?
Regards

Colin

Happy Hunting

Mr Phil

Postby Mr Phil » June 25th, 2008, 8:39 pm

I voted no
But Iwould still like to see a few of you , But the big crunch is the price.Non worker and thats it.
sorry guys would like to be there but NO .. :cry:
Saw steffi at elveston casle last year, would like to go to the IOM ...
The Geek shall inherit the earth

M1PAC

davjhedges

re:convention

Postby davjhedges » January 6th, 2010, 7:14 pm

i would be interested,as a new sbs1er user,and a years experience as a radarbox user,there should be plenty to discuss,and learn about.
regards,davidh.

mhm

Re: What do folk think?

Postby mhm » February 22nd, 2011, 6:55 am

If your coming north, dont forget to pack a warm coat. :D

Return to “Discussion”