SBS-1 ETHERNET VERSION UPDATE

The place to chat about using the BaseStation / SBS systems, ask questions, and to post any tips, tricks or stories about how you've used it. We'd also like to hear any suggestions you have for new functionality which we can add to the system.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

KineticMark

SBS-1 ETHERNET VERSION UPDATE

Postby KineticMark » December 19th, 2005, 7:46 pm

SBS-1 ETHERNET UPDATE 19.12.05

Due to unforseeable supply issues, despite months of hard effort by Kinetic Avionic Products Limited we have been unable to negotiate an acceptable price for the ethernet module that was designed to be fitted to the SBS-1.

For the avoidance of further confusion, we will not be releasing an ethernet version of the SBS-1. Should supply matters change, we will review the situation.

Many thanks and Seasons Greetings,

Mark

stevenf

Postby stevenf » December 19th, 2005, 9:39 pm

Great shame, but atleast we know now.

Will this also effect MapModeS? Or has this got nothing to do with it?

MikeC

Re: SBS-1 ETHERNET VERSION UPDATE

Postby MikeC » December 20th, 2005, 9:04 am

KineticMark wrote:SBS-1 ETHERNET UPDATE 19.12.05

Due to unforseeable supply issues, despite months of hard effort by Kinetic Avionic Products Limited we have been unable to negotiate an acceptable price for the ethernet module that was designed to be fitted to the SBS-1.

For the avoidance of further confusion, we will not be releasing an ethernet version of the SBS-1. Should supply matters change, we will review the situation.Mark

Although I'm disappointed to hear this (and I'm sure others are too), at least Kinetic has made an announcement.

Has anyone looked at using a Wireless USB router instead? For those who have an existing wireless network, this could be an alternative to a long cable run or a pair of USB extenders (which uses ethernet cable)?

Maybe the data transmission rate is too low? But if not, these devices sell for approx GBP 30. Has Kinetic tested any devices?

MikeC

andelscott

Postby andelscott » December 20th, 2005, 1:14 pm

MikeC wrote:Has anyone looked at using a Wireless USB router instead? For those who have an existing wireless network, this could be an alternative to a long cable run or a pair of USB extenders (which uses ethernet cable)?

Maybe the data transmission rate is too low? But if not, these devices sell for approx GBP 30. Has Kinetic tested any devices?

MikeC

Not sure this would work - normally your PC would have drivers installed to know how to speak and listen to a relatively dumb USB device.

Perhaps Kinetic would advise of a consumer-volume supplier for owners to procure and fit (or arrange fitting) at their own risk? Warranty issues ignored for the moment. I assume that the firmware has already been designed with the functionality built in ready to accept the module. From the forum, I can see there are quite a few hardware geeks as existing users! (Myself as potential user included :oops: )

Ethernet architecture is easier to assimilated into the infrastructure here, but obviously for Kinetic, there would be little point in making boxes available at a materially different price from the USB model when targeted at enthusiasts. The professional market is a different thing, I guess.

Any suggestions out there?

BTW: I concur with the earlier comments: thanks for letting us know.

MikeC

Postby MikeC » December 20th, 2005, 1:30 pm

andelscott wrote:
MikeC wrote:Has anyone looked at using a Wireless USB router instead? For those who have an existing wireless network, this could be an alternative to a long cable run or a pair of USB extenders (which uses ethernet cable)?

MikeC

Not sure this would work - normally your PC would have drivers installed to know how to speak and listen to a relatively dumb USB device.

I'm not a technician but if the PC is connected to a wireless n/w and the SBS-1 is connected to the USB Router, how is this different from using a USB extender. The extenders use ethernet cable between the two and I can't see what additional s/w is required.

But I'd like to hear what Kinetic thinks.

MikeC

EIN6914

Postby EIN6914 » December 20th, 2005, 8:25 pm

A more direct question to Kinetic.

There is clearly a demand for a wireless solution , the ethernet option appears dead.
Thinking creatively, what other options are possible ?
Regards,
Phil Nic

johnc201

Postby johnc201 » December 20th, 2005, 8:51 pm

I guess we have to consider the SBS-1 to be a peripheral device, like a printer or scanner, that (without the ethernet module) does not have the in-built intelligence necessary to act as network device.

The Wireless USB Router will not work, as it is designed to be hosted by an intelligent device (e.g. a laptop) which will run the netorking software, e.g. Windows networking, and the USB device driver.

What we would be looking at here is some kind of ethernet-in-a-box solution, which would connect to the SBS's USB or Serial port. There are similar devices available for some printers, however they tend to be device specific, and realtively expensive (e.g. HP's Jet Direct box). It may also require a firmware upgrade to the SBS-1 in order to use such a device.

One question, though. If the Ethernet module for the SBS-1 has already been developed, could it be packaged and offered as an external device?

Cheers,

John

johnc201

Postby johnc201 » December 21st, 2005, 9:22 pm

MikeC

Postby MikeC » December 22nd, 2005, 12:23 am

Too expensive!

Mike C

jmhayes

Postby jmhayes » December 22nd, 2005, 12:43 am

Hey, someone actually makes one of these! Nice catch!

/jordan

MikeC

Postby MikeC » December 22nd, 2005, 8:12 am

jmhayes wrote:

Hey, someone actually makes one of these! Nice catch!

/jordan

Try here

http://www.everythingusb.com/802.11g_usb_adapters.html

Mike C

sejo

Postby sejo » December 22nd, 2005, 9:25 am

Mike,

The devices above are only designed to work in conjunction with a host computer (i.e. a PC), not a peripheral i.e. they are designed to put a PC onto a wi-fi network via its USB port. Wireless ethernet (or even wired ethernet) USB adapters for peripherals are going to be much more expensive as they have to perform the type of work that would be going on in a PC host (as already stated by johnc201)

Interestingly, there is a new standard for true "Wireless USB" (a bit like bluetooth) described here http://www.usb.org/developers/wusb/ but I don't think there are any products on the market yet.

There is a company that makes USB extenders that run of CAT5, fibre and possibly a proprietry wireless connection http://www.icron.com/products/usb/usb_products.php

Anyway, the summary is you will not be able to link an SBS-1 to a wireless ethernet network using a £30 USB PC adapter!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Sean

MikeC

Postby MikeC » December 22nd, 2005, 10:00 am

sejo wrote:

Mike,

The devices above are only designed to work in conjunction with a host computer (i.e. a PC), not a peripheral i.e. they are designed to put a PC onto a wi-fi network via its USB port. Wireless ethernet (or even wired ethernet) USB adapters for peripherals are going to be much more expensive as they have to perform the type of work that would be going on in a PC host (as already stated by johnc201)

Interestingly, there is a new standard for true "Wireless USB" (a bit like bluetooth) described here http://www.usb.org/developers/wusb/ but I don't think there are any products on the market yet.

There is a company that makes USB extenders that run of CAT5, fibre and possibly a proprietry wireless connection http://www.icron.com/products/usb/usb_products.php

Anyway, the summary is you will not be able to link an SBS-1 to a wireless ethernet network using a £30 USB PC adapter!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Sean

Thanks Sean. The bit I don't (naively) understand is why a USB extender works but not a wireless USB router? The extender is merely delivering messages between the SBS box and the PC, using the software on the PC and the interface on the SBS box.

But I'm the first to admit I'm not a technician, yet there is clearly a demand for wireless/ethernet connectivity. I'd prefer not have to worry about cables (having gone wireless at home) and as other posts show, long coax runs can be a nightmare.

I'm happy to leave it to Kinetic to work out a solution (hopefully)!

MikeC

NToombes

Postby NToombes » January 2nd, 2006, 4:45 pm

phoutman

Postby phoutman » January 2nd, 2006, 9:06 pm

would it be possible to use a computer directly connected to the sbs to transmit the data over a wireless home network to another computer running the basestation?

Return to “Discussion”