SBS-1 ETHERNET VERSION UPDATE

The place to chat about using the BaseStation / SBS systems, ask questions, and to post any tips, tricks or stories about how you've used it. We'd also like to hear any suggestions you have for new functionality which we can add to the system.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

Roadrunner

Postby Roadrunner » July 26th, 2008, 10:46 am

With a Big Thank you to Chris at ML&S have now got my SBS1 back complete with module and have it running through a Belkin Ethernet bridge.

The temperature from both the SBS1 and Belkin is quite high so have set them up as per following picture in the airflow from a 6" Matsui fan. It keeps them both very cool and is on the same socket as the other two so if they are on so will it be.

Mike

p.s. excuse the fleet of B17 micro-machines sitting on the SBS1 :oops:
Beep-Beep

KineticChris
Site Admin

Glad to have you back!

Postby KineticChris » July 26th, 2008, 9:15 pm

Glad all is well.

Can anyone put together an idiot proof set of instructions to allow remote connection over the internet.I just want to leave my unit on the network and connect from work. So in a nutshell how do I broadcast my ethernet SBS?

Regards
Chris Taylor

dogo

Postby dogo » July 26th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Chris,

I think you need to supply the details of what router you are using, any firewall programs like norton, Windows Live Onecare etc.. Also do you have a fixed ip address?

Regards

Darren

Anmer

Re: Glad to have you back!

Postby Anmer » July 26th, 2008, 9:37 pm

chrisg0wtz wrote:Can anyone put together an idiot proof set of instructions to allow remote connection over the internet.I just want to leave my unit on the network and connect from work. So in a nutshell how do I broadcast my ethernet SBS?

Chris

Give ML&S a call, they do SBS-1 and Basestation support :D :D
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » July 26th, 2008, 11:32 pm

Go to dyndns.com:

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

Create a hostname and domain name for your machine (they have several free domains). When you create this you can either use your router (many have DDNS internal configuration), or download their software that keeps your dynamic IP address in sync with the hostname and dns.

With that, you have a routable home machine on the internet.

Now configure your router for port forwarding. Whatever port you are using for the SBS, put that into the configuration. You will also have to adjust your firewall software.

Best bet is to turn off your PC firewall software, and use the router firewall only. Saves headaches.

That's all there is. You can add more ports if you wish. For example 30003 to connect to your SBS TCP port.

redrobbo

Another poor sod with EM module connection problems

Postby redrobbo » August 4th, 2008, 6:16 pm

Guys,

I've been reading these forums for months - even before I took the plunge and bought by SBS - and have never ceased to be amazed by the depth of knowledge and willingness to help shown by our fraternity. I've now spent (far too) many hours on my machine over the last 3 months and probably need to get out more!

So, having buttered you up, here's the problem that I'd really appreciate some help on, before I tear out what hair I've got left. Like many others, I purchased the EM module a few weeks ago, and despite following all the instructions, have still not managed to make a wireless connection.

This is the state of play:
- I'm running Vista
- I have software version 1.1.1.130
- I've downloaded the new firmware with no problems, getting the response "Firmware upgrade completed. Firm upload time 68.681 seconds".
- When I ping 192.168.1.170, I get the reponse "Reply from 80.238.48.129: TTL expired in transit" 3 times, then "Ping stats for 192.168.1.170 - Packets sent 4; Received 4; Lost 0". Is this good or bad? Expired in transit doesn't sound good, but Lost 0 implies it's OK!!
- I've updated my Basestation.ini file to show DataSourceType=1 and SocketIntfIPAddress=192.168.1.170
- When I change the data source to Use Network option, close SBS and reopen, the Use USB box and Use Network options are both now ticked. Is this OK?
- I've now got a red light on the left of the SBS box window, indicating I've got power from my 12v adaptor, and a nice healthy row of 3 or 4 blue lights. However, after a few seconds, the SBS window comes up with an error box "Unable to connect to SBS-1 socket". My firmware version has now changed from Beavis3 build 306 to 0, indicating a lack of connection.

I've been re-trying this over and over many times over the last week or two in the hope that it will suddenly right itself, but have really got nowhere, so now need some help please! One avenue I did try persuing, but was let down by my lack of technical knowledge, was the possible incompatibilty with my modem. This is a Sky Sagem model, and in its settings, it shows the LAN port address of 192.168.0.1. Could the difference between this and the advised .ini file setting of 192.168.1.170 be the problem? If so, should I be changing it, and if I do, would it then cause problems to the other wireless laptops that connect to it?

I'm sorry this post is so long, but I thought if I laid it out step by step, it could in future help someone else with the same problem.....

Thanks to all for reading. I look forward to being flooded with replies!!!

Rgds

Mark

DaveReid

Re: Another poor sod with EM module connection problems

Postby DaveReid » August 4th, 2008, 6:36 pm

redrobbo wrote:I'm sorry this post is so long, but I thought if I laid it out step by step, it could in future help someone else with the same problem.....

You're one of the unlucky ones.

See http://www.kinetic-avionics.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=821&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=476 for an explanation of why you are having a problem and what to do about it.

Anmer

Postby Anmer » August 4th, 2008, 6:55 pm

Mark

Just to add to Dave's contribution.

From experience helping others, if you can change your local IP address to the 192.168.1.nnn range, you might find it easier than trying to change the EM address to 192.168.0.nnn.

Your router should assign new IP addresses in the new range to your other local devices or you may be able to reserve an IP address if you so wish. Check the router config help.

Changing the EM IP address is not one of life's easiest challenges.
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

redrobbo

Postby redrobbo » August 4th, 2008, 9:51 pm

Thanks for the speedy response guys. I've been trying Dave's route first, downloading the DeviceInstaller package, but when I do the device search, all it finds is Local Area Connection (192.168.0.7) - nothing that sounds like my EM - so I can't progress to the Assign IP wizard. If I try pinging the device on 192.168.1.170, I obviously don't get anything either.
It's too late at night now for me to start playing around with my router settings, as I don't want to risk screwing anything up and losing my internet completely, so I guess I'll have to have another session tomorrow evening!!!
Blimey - the best part of a hard earned £500 spent and there's still all this hassle!!!!!
Rgds
Mark

johnc201

Postby johnc201 » August 4th, 2008, 10:18 pm

Try following these instructions (from an earlier post by THREEMILES) - its not as daunting as it looks - and it worked for me!

1) Set your computer IP to 192.168.1.7 for a while.
You do this by opening your network icon, then Properties, then Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then Properties
IN CASE - If you had a dynamic IP checked (Automatic IP address or so) you need to enter the IP AND the network mask 255.255.255.0, then press OK
2) Start your internet browser and go to http://192.168.1.170
3) Press empty return on the dialog
4) Go to NETWORK
5) Enter 192.168.2.170 under IP ADDRESS
6) Enter 192.168.2.1 under GATEWAY
7) Press OK
7a) Check your PORT is 20060 (CHANNEL 1/CONNECTION/LOCAL PORT)
Press APPLY SETTINGS
9) See the Xport reboot (and not return!!)
10) Reset your computer IP to 192.168.2.7
11) Start your internet browser and go to http://192.168.2.170
12) See the dialog pop up (everything worked well)
13) Run Basestation
14) Enter IP 192.168.2.170 to SETTINGS/HARDWARE/NETWORK
15) Select SETTINGS/DATA SOURCE/USE NETWORK
16) Restart Basestation
17) Voila

If your current computer IP is in the range of 192.168.0.x then substitute 192.168.2.x above with 192.168.0.x. Likewise any other IP bands.

Cheers,

John

redrobbo

Postby redrobbo » August 5th, 2008, 9:58 pm

Bingo! Thanks John - I finally got it going, although it wasn't quite plain sailing... I struggled a little bit with the Lantronix windows, but managed to get there in the end. However, one point for the benefit of anyone else having to go through all this is that I had to overtype the Port number 10001 in the Lantronix settings with the 20060 shown in the above instructions. When I then fired SBS up again and it still didn't work, I thought I was destined to stay wired up for ever, but then I played a hunch, opened the basestation.ini file and changed the SocketIntfPort from 10001 to 20060. Lo and behold, it sprang into action. So I'm not sure which is the right thng to do - changing it to 20060 here and in the .ini file, or whether it should stay at 10001 in the Lantronix settings to match the MLS basestation.ini recommended settings. Too bad that my 12v transformer then packed up half an hour later and has put me back (hopefully just temporarily) into USB world......

My next challenge is to get it work on the girlfriend's wireless set-up so I can use it there as well at weekends. By Monday, I might even be an expert....

On a more serious note, although the SBS1 is an utterly brilliant piece of kit - almost the best thing since sliced bread - I'm somehow struggling with the concept that we are all lining up to pay an additional £80 for a small bit of circuitry
a) that doesn't seem to work out of the box for many customers and could therefore be deemed possibly as "not fit for purpose",
b) is clearly not supplied with adequate instructions, and
c) that does not have sufficient indications given before purchase of the difficulties that customers could have. There are some warnings on the website about some basic skills needed to self-install the EM module, but that really is child's play and pales into insignificance when compared to the difficulties actually getting the ruddy thing to work!!!

I think that Kinetic and/or MLS (I'm still not really sure what the relationship is between the two and who is responsible for these things) need to repackage the EM module with proper, detailed instructions on installation covering all eventualities. You only have to look at the length of this thread to see how much time people have spent getting their EMst to work and it's only through the fantastic help of fellow forum users who have obviously spent many hours getting to grips with it that we're all up and running and enjoying our hobby.

OK. Rant over. At least mine's working now. Oh bum - no it isn't - I'll have to get a new transformer in the morning.

It's a cruel world :cry: :cry: ...............

Cheers all.

Mark

DaveReid

Postby DaveReid » August 5th, 2008, 10:41 pm

redrobbo wrote:On a more serious note, although the SBS1 is an utterly brilliant piece of kit - almost the best thing since sliced bread - I'm somehow struggling with the concept that we are all lining up to pay an additional £80 for a small bit of circuitry
a) that doesn't seem to work out of the box for many customers and could therefore be deemed possibly as "not fit for purpose",
b) is clearly not supplied with adequate instructions, and
c) that does not have sufficient indications given before purchase of the difficulties that customers could have. There are some warnings on the website about some basic skills needed to self-install the EM module, but that really is child's play and pales into insignificance when compared to the difficulties actually getting the ruddy thing to work!!!

Quite so.

Anmer

Postby Anmer » August 6th, 2008, 7:18 am

Mark

I'm fully with Dave on this and, regrettably, your points have been put (repeatedly) to ML&S by a number of us but still nothing has been changed.

Can I just check something?

Did you set the port number to 20060 using the Lantronix Installer? If the instructions for 7a read:

7a) Check your PORT is 10001 (CHANNEL 1/CONNECTION/LOCAL PORT)
Press APPLY SETTINGS

...it should have worked without changing the ini file.
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

redrobbo

Postby redrobbo » August 6th, 2008, 8:13 am

Anmer,

That's what I wondered. I was following JohnC's instructions above and assumed that where in the Lantronics window I was showing 10001, something had gone wrong and I needed to change it to 20060. So I did, but then of course I had to change the .ini file as well to reflect this. Should I now let sleeping dogs lie, or should I change it back to 10001 in both? I guess this would probably be the better option as I'm hoping to get it up an running on another wireless network at the weekend (a Netgear router on AOL, so hopefully trouble free!) and would much prefer not to have to change the .ini file each time I change locations!

Cheers all

Mark

johnc201

Postby johnc201 » August 6th, 2008, 8:47 am

Mark,

Apologies for the port confusion (I copied the instructions direclty form Threemiles' post), Anmer is correct with his suggested amendment to line 7a. I don't think it matters which port you use, so long as the EM and BS are in line.

Bones - I wonder if it would be useful to post these instructions in a sticky entitled "Configuring the EM port"? What do you think?

Thanks,

John

Return to “Discussion”