The Java Feeder

This forum is for users who are developing applications (or resources) to work alongside BaseStation (i.e. add-ons) and who wish to discuss development techniques.

Moderators: KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

bones

Re: The Java Feeder

Postby bones » July 7th, 2011, 4:42 am

EDIT: If you shut off TRACK option menu, then all the track data is removed (decluttered) and if you move your mouse over a target the track block appears.

Just tried that - very neat indeed. ADSView has been running for six hours now without a hiccup.

Anmer

Postby Anmer » July 7th, 2011, 4:45 am

edgy31 wrote:
Anmer wrote:Maybe someone could explain what this does and what's needed to use it and why?

Someone asked for a simple viewer to run instead of Basestation, or along with Basestation if you are running Multi-EM, or something to run on Linux.

This qualifies as a simple viewer. More specifically it is designed for developers to look at the source code and use it in their designs.

Thanks Edgy.
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

nzradar

Postby nzradar » July 7th, 2011, 6:37 am

bones wrote:That did it.]

Was that with Basestation running or closed?
Michael
New Zealand
Home Website: http://www.nzradar.com
ADS-B Traffic: http://www.nzradar.com/?page_id=16
SBS-1er/microadsb
BaseStation/PlanePlotter
Windows 8 Consumer Preview

nzradar

Postby nzradar » July 7th, 2011, 7:04 am

edgy31 wrote:I use "B" with a Mark-1 and I think "A" will work
with an "eR" model, and "C" goes with the sbs1e I think. Then there's "E" option if you use ethernet.

With SBS-1er it works for me with option "B" and I answered my own question about Basestation..........close it first before running ADSView.
Michael
New Zealand
Home Website: http://www.nzradar.com
ADS-B Traffic: http://www.nzradar.com/?page_id=16
SBS-1er/microadsb
BaseStation/PlanePlotter
Windows 8 Consumer Preview

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » July 7th, 2011, 11:32 am

nzradar wrote:
edgy31 wrote:I use "B" with a Mark-1 and I think "A" will work
with an "eR" model, and "C" goes with the sbs1e I think. Then there's "E" option if you use ethernet.

With SBS-1er it works for me with option "B" and I answered my own question about Basestation..........close it first before running ADSView.

Jetvision.de has a product that allows more than one connect to a SBS-1, called Multi-EM. Doesn't cost much and solves the problem.

Thanks for the report on which config letter goes with yours.

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » July 7th, 2011, 12:22 pm

KineticChris wrote:Help guys!

I am getting a few calls on this so can someone please put together an instruction read me for it!
I am going around the thread slowly but it would be nice to see it in one document

Thanks

Chris, this is a simple viewer that I use in my hobby of decoding Mode-S downlink formats (DF). It uses the SBS-1 as the receiver decoder, and then I can process the Mode-S bits into the various displayable data.

Since it is written in Java, users need to have Java SE 1.6 JRE installed on their computer. The JRE (Java Runtime Engine) runs the executable Viewer JAR file. The executable is called ADSView.jar. You put this JAR file in your Windows login directory (the directory you end-up in after you login).

I used an open source FTDI USB software called JD2XX. With this, I did not have to write any USB code (praise the Lord). So, you have to make a directory in your Windows login directory called "lib". Create the lib (mkdir lib), and then move the JD2XX.jar file into this directory. JD2XX.jar is a Java interface to the FTDI driver you use with Basestation. So it requires a DLL (windows dynamic link library) that you have to put in your C:\Windows\system32 folder called JD2XX.dll.

Since most people will have Basestation installed, then you don't really need the ftd2xx.dll file in the package, as you probably already have it. This file is the latest version though, and you can copy it into your Windows/system32 folder after checking if it is there already.

Now comes the hard part. There is a configuration file called adsview.conf (that goes in your login directory also). You have to edit this to select which kind of SBS-1 you have. I call these A,B, and C USB interfaces, and E for ethernet. Only one of the USB's will work. Also select your lat/lon and City name.

Finally, there are some simple maps. You can pick one and rename it map.dat and put this in your windows login directory. You don't need a map though. Some people just have a list of VOR's, Airports, and FIX's. Simple is the word...

Hope that helps.
Last edited by edgy31 on July 11th, 2011, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KineticChris
Site Admin

Postby KineticChris » July 7th, 2011, 1:20 pm

OK Thanks for the feedback
I will have a tinker at the weekend out of interest!

Regards
Chris Taylor

bones

Postby bones » July 7th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Just to clarify I used B too and that was with an SBS-1e.

Now comes the hard part. There is a configuration file called adsview.conf (that goes in your login directory also). You have to edit this to select which kind of SBS-1 you have. I call these A,B, and C USB interfaces, and E for ethernet. Only one of the USB's will work. Also select your lat/lon and City name.

The ADSView.conf file I grabbed only had station lines for name and metar so I imported the other lines from the ADSViewer.conf (for new readers ADSViewer is a separate program). I used:

station.name = IOM
station.alt = 33
station.latitude = 54.07294
station.longitude = -4.656558
station.metar = EGNS

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » July 7th, 2011, 6:09 pm

Thanks Bones, I went a little crazy, when stuff wasn't working right, I just cut it out, and I would figure out what was wrong and put it back later.

I guess it's time to put back what was broken, ha.

I figured out one bug I had, in that the tabular display kept showing targets that had landed hours ago. After I cut it all out, I found where the bug was - I was only dropping targets with position out of the table, so the non-position targets just kept growing the table...

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » July 8th, 2011, 4:21 pm

I think I fixed the lat/lon. Now when you save the config it will remember where your center was.

Noticed the background color wasn't working either. I saw a new AEW video on youtube and liked their blue screen.
I selected blue and nothing happened - argh!

Anyway, I have a nice blue screen working with the latest version posted.

ja8175

Postby ja8175 » September 4th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Hi,

ADSTools(ADSViewer) of the latest version where can I download?

Regards

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » September 5th, 2011, 5:55 pm

I stopped playing with this project awhile back. An offshoot program is at http://code.google.com/p/adsb-viewer/

It is basically just a programming hobby thing, and this version doesn't allow multiple displays or use multicast.

ja8175

Postby ja8175 » September 5th, 2011, 9:19 pm

Hi,
Thank you for your information.

Regards,

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » September 7th, 2011, 12:33 am

ja8175 wrote:Hi,
Thank you for your information.

Regards,