Another server to display output on a Google Maps page

This forum is for users who are developing applications (or resources) to work alongside BaseStation (i.e. add-ons) and who wish to discuss development techniques.

Moderators: KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

agw

Re: Another server to display output on a Google Maps page

Post by agw » June 25th, 2010, 6:44 pm

TG wrote:One issue: some logos here have underscore within the name like XXX_Cargo and these are not displayed.
Thanks for that, you're quite right. I've fixed it, it'll show up in the next release.
TG wrote:And feature suggestion: search database by callsign.
No reason why not, I'll add it to the list :) The new reports I'm working on are all flights for a single Mode-S ID and all flights for a particular date or range of dates. I plan to allow the date report to be filtered by things like callsign, registration, Mode-S ID, operator code and so on so a callsign report will probably be quite similar to that one in appearance.
manu67a wrote:If some of you would like to try, you can go there: http://radar-gva.surleweb.eu
Ha! Excellent! Thanks for that, I've not seen it running on another machine before, I'm tickled pink! :D

TG

Post by TG » June 25th, 2010, 7:05 pm

one more question:
I can' t get it to work with my external IP.

In my browser I enter the link: http://my_external_IP:30003/VirtualRadar/GoogleMap.htm and all I get there is socket output txt

agw

Post by agw » June 25th, 2010, 7:22 pm

TG wrote:In my browser I enter the link: http://my_external_IP:30003/VirtualRadar/GoogleMap.htm and all I get there is socket output txt
Ah. Well. This is where it gets into the realms of configuring your router. In principle what you need to do is configure the router to forward an incoming port to port 80 on the computer that is running the server. If you select the network address radio button on the server's main display then it will tell you the IP address of the computer that's running the server, it'll be that that you need to enter in the router's port-forwarding settings.

So if the server says its network address is http://192.168.1.1/VirtualRadar and you decide that you want to access it from the Internet using http://your.internet.address:12345/VirtualRadar then you need to configure your router to forward the incoming port 12345 to the computer on your LAN with the IP address 192.168.1.1, port 80. If it asks about TCP and UDP then you just need TCP. When you pick an incoming port either go for port 80 or, probably safer, a port between 1025 and 65535. Ports below 1025 are reserved. Port 80 is the normal web browser port, if you choose that then you can just access the site through http://your.internet.address/VirtualRadar.

Unfortunately exactly how you do the port forwarding is different for each router so you're on your own there. By the sounds of it you're fairly close - just forward to port 80, not port 30003.

rogerlong

Post by rogerlong » June 25th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Just tried this but everytime I start i I get a box come up 'Cannot Start Web Server' "Cannot start the web server for prefix http://*.80/VirtualRadar/: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

agw

Post by agw » June 25th, 2010, 7:51 pm

rogerlong wrote:... everytime I start i I get a box come up 'Cannot Start Web Server' "Cannot start the web server for prefix http://*.80/VirtualRadar/: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"
Which version of Windows are you running under?

Basically the server is using a facility in Windows to act as a web server. Without any configuration only adminstrators are allowed to do this. The installer configures Windows to allow the application to listen to /VirtualRadar on port 80 without having to run as an administrator.

If it's a problem with the configuration then if you run the server as administrator (if you're running under Vista or Windows 7 then right-click it in the start menu and choose "Run as Administrator") it should work. I did make the lazy assumption that anyone running under Windows XP is an administrator and so I don't do the configuration in the installer for XP (the way the configuration is made slightly different under XP) so if you're on XP as a power user or normal user then that would explain things. I'll change the installer for the next release either way, it was a bit naughty of me to just make that assumption.

TG

Post by TG » June 25th, 2010, 7:53 pm

rogerlong wrote:Just tried this but everytime I start i I get a box come up 'Cannot Start Web Server' "Cannot start the web server for prefix http://*.80/VirtualRadar/: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"
I had exactly the same and couldn't figure out what was wrong. I have closed all other apps but still problem.
Then I realised I had 2 communicators working in the background (Skype and one other). I closed both and restarted VRS and since then no problem - all run together. Maybe a coincidence...

rogerlong

Post by rogerlong » June 25th, 2010, 8:04 pm

Which version of Windows are you running under?
Running Windows Vista, tried as administator but same error this is an extract from error log
25/06/2010 20:33:00 [t:1] Cannot start web server
25/06/2010 20:33:00 [t:1] System.Net.HttpListenerException: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
at System.Net.HttpListener.AddAll()
at System.Net.HttpListener.Start()
at VirtualRadar.WebServer.Start()
at VirtualRadar.Program.StartWebServer()
25/06/2010 20:33:01 [t:3] Data update finished, route status now Loaded 74,377 routes for the period 01/12/2009 to 23/06/2010
25/06/2010 20:36:11 [t:1] Unhandled exception caught: System.ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'System.Net.HttpListener'.
at System.Net.HttpListener.CheckDisposed()
at System.Net.HttpListener.get_Prefixes()
at VirtualRadar.WebServer.Start()
at VirtualRadar.WebServerController.ChangeServerStatus(Boolean takeOnline)
at VirtualRadar.WebServerController.UIControl_ChangeServerStatus(Object sender, EventArgs`1 e)
at VirtualRadar.Control.WebServerStatusControl.OnChangeServerStatus(EventArgs`1 args)
at VirtualRadar.Control.WebServerStatusControl.buttonToggleServerStatus_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
25/06/2010 20:59:00 [t:1] Program started, version 0.12.0.37888

agw

Post by agw » June 25th, 2010, 8:42 pm

I'll add an option to the installer for the next version to let you choose the port that the server is on. That way if there is a conflict with other programs you can move the server onto another port. The next version should be ready by the end of the weekend.

KineticChris
Site Admin

Post by KineticChris » June 25th, 2010, 9:53 pm

I have to say this is a great add on for Basestation thankyou!
We have had a few support calls and just to say you need basestation runing this is not an instead of program it is as well as.

Top marks to the programmer
I am using it while my units are tied up testing

Regards
Chris Taylor

edgy31

Post by edgy31 » June 25th, 2010, 10:09 pm

rogerlong wrote:Just tried this but everytime I start i I get a box come up 'Cannot Start Web Server' "Cannot start the web server for prefix http://*.80/VirtualRadar/: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"
That URL is gobbledy-goop. To specify a port (80 is default) you have to use a colon. :80 etc.

rogerlong

Post by rogerlong » June 25th, 2010, 10:30 pm

That URL is gobbledy-goop. To specify a port (80 is default) you have to use a colon. :80 etc.
Edgy, you're right it is indeed : need to get the eyes retested :)

edgy31

Post by edgy31 » June 25th, 2010, 11:35 pm

rogerlong wrote:
Edgy, you're right it is indeed : need to get the eyes retested :)
I'm not sure if we have to thank the Romans, the Franc's or the Arabs for that dastardly character... :twisted:

agw

Post by agw » June 26th, 2010, 12:07 am

edgy31 wrote:That URL is gobbledy-goop. To specify a port (80 is default) you have to use a colon. :80 etc.
It is gobbledy-goop but it isn't a URL, it's a prefix - it tells HHTP Server that the program wants to handle web traffic that comes in for /VirtualRadar on port 80.

It was handy to see it in the error message back in the days when you could configure the port and path in the server options. That was taken out because it meant you had to run as administrator, but after the installer lets you pick a new port it'll be handy again :)

dogo

Post by dogo » June 27th, 2010, 9:55 am

Hi,

Are all the coms done through port 80, trying to access my server from work. I can reach the server and it displays the goggle map no problems, but it shows no aircraft. My work blocks most ports so I can only use port 80. if this is not the case any ideas as to why this may not be working correctly.

BTW it work ok on the local network at home and ok if I type my internet IP address at home...

Regards

Darren
Darren - Kinetic Beta team member

edgy31

Post by edgy31 » June 27th, 2010, 10:13 am

dogo wrote:Are all the coms done through port 80, trying to access my server from work. I can reach the server and it displays the goggle map no problems, but it shows no aircraft. My work blocks most ports so I can only use port 80. if this is not the case any ideas as to why this may not be working correctly.
Did you set-up port forwarding in your router? Also you will probably have to make an exception in your firewall. Allow port 80 through, and point port 80 to the internal IP address of the server.