Another server to display output on a Google Maps page

This forum is for users who are developing applications (or resources) to work alongside BaseStation (i.e. add-ons) and who wish to discuss development techniques.

Moderators: KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

manu67a

Re: Another server to display output on a Google Maps page

Postby manu67a » July 2nd, 2010, 9:25 am

Dan Dare wrote:Is there something else I need to check.

I was just facing this problem today and running the SBSpopulate tool from the sbs-ressources http://www.sbs-resources.com/ set solved the issue.

bondenis

Postby bondenis » July 19th, 2010, 10:13 am

Sorry, I posted it at the wrong place, please see in discussion...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12940

KineticChris
Site Admin

Postby KineticChris » July 19th, 2010, 8:36 pm

If you have not tried this yet then do it is a very good add on

Regards
Chris Taylor

Dan Dare

Postby Dan Dare » August 11th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Thanks again for a great programme and the supporting add-ons.
Will you please give consideration to providing the facility to toggle
on/off the Aircraft Listing pane so as to reveal more of the map
and allow the Aircraft List to be displayed only as and when required.

agw

Postby agw » August 11th, 2010, 5:38 pm

Dan Dare wrote:please give consideration to providing the facility to toggle
on/off the Aircraft Listing pane

I'll add it to the to-do list :)

Anmer

Postby Anmer » August 11th, 2010, 6:19 pm

agw wrote:I'll add it to the to-do list :)

It's sort of there already:

Basestation Windows. New Feature.

Separate and multiple windows, both aircraft list and radar display (and any new ones)
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

ianmitchell

Postby ianmitchell » August 13th, 2010, 1:07 pm

Another brilliant means of keeping me away from domestic 'duties'! It's a fascinating add-on and the ability to give a constant read-out of over whose roof your favourite plane is flying is superb.

Then, of course, come the daft ideas....

Would it be possible to display multiple alternative locations onto the map?
Could the aircraft traces be shortened?
And could it ever do the equivalent of BaseStation's 'Display Centre and Bearing Tracking'?

A terrific product - many thanks.

VK2GEL

Postby VK2GEL » August 14th, 2010, 8:25 am

Hi thanks for writing this program.

Could you please advise min. specs for an XP laptop to run it, and also what is the approx. data rate per minute/hour as I am using capped mobile data?

Thanks..

agw

Postby agw » August 15th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Anmer wrote:
agw wrote:I'll add it to the to-do list :)

It's sort of there already:

I think there might be a crossed wire here - I presume that 'Dan Dare' was referring to Virtual Radar Server rather than BaseStation? Either way I've added the feature to the latest release of Virtual Radar Server.

ianmitchell

Postby ianmitchell » August 15th, 2010, 7:11 pm

....another bonus would be the ability to orientate the map as in 'set view centre & bearing' with BaseStation.
(another day with no gardening done.........)

agw

Postby agw » August 15th, 2010, 7:12 pm

ianmitchell wrote:1) Would it be possible to display multiple alternative locations onto the map?
2) Could the aircraft traces be shortened?
3) And could it ever do the equivalent of BaseStation's 'Display Centre and Bearing Tracking'?

Glad you like it :) To answer your questions:

1) Not quite sure what you mean by this. Is this for the purposes of measuring distances to the planes etc.? I've occasionally needed to change the home location, for instance when I go visiting family and take the radio with me - but I just move the home location pin when I get there and move it back when I return. What problem do you want to be able to solve with these multiple locations?

2) The short answer is yes. And no. But mostly no :) When the program was first written it kept a pair of co-ordinates for every point that the aircraft passed through and sent those to the browser for display as a trail - hence the raft of items in the to-do list about reducing the burden that traces place on the browser. If the program still did this then it would be easy to keep a short trail. However nowadays the program only records those points where the aircraft changes direction. If the aircraft doesn't change direction at all then only the first position and its current position are kept by the server or in the browser, which is much more efficient all round. However it does make clipping the trace to the past so-many minutes a bit tricky. There are a couple of ways I can think of doing it but neither are trivial.

3) I don't think I've ever used the feature, but if this is calculating the bearing from the current location to the selected aircraft then yes, no problem, I'd been thinking about that for the proximity gadget. I'll add it to the to-do list.

agw

Postby agw » August 15th, 2010, 7:15 pm

ianmitchell wrote:....another bonus would be the ability to orientate the map as in 'set view centre & bearing' with BaseStation.
(another day with no gardening done.........)

We're doing overlapping postings :) I can't change the map's orientation I'm afraid, Google fixes it at due north.

agw

Postby agw » August 15th, 2010, 7:35 pm

VK2GEL wrote:Could you please advise min. specs for an XP laptop to run it, and also what is the approx. data rate per minute/hour as I am using capped mobile data?

I've no idea :) The server itself doesn't need a whole lot of resources. I run it on a virtual machine which I've given 512Mb to, and that's also running BaseStation and SBS Populate. The browser you use to view the site that the server dishes up needs to be reasonably modern and running on a reasonably powerful machine. The lowest spec machine I view it from is an iPad and it struggles along OK. I'd just install it and see, it only takes a minute to install and if it doesn't work out the uninstaller only takes a minute as well ;)

Regarding bandwidth - the server itself downloads flight route data every day, that comes to about 1.5Mb a day I think, and you can turn the automatic download off if it's a problem. Browsers viewing the site from your local network will only go to the Internet for the Google Maps stuff - that shouldn't be any different to any other Google Maps session. So if you're running a private server then you should be OK with your cap.

However if your intention is to put the site onto the Internet so that everyone can see your server, and you want to know how much bandwidth people viewing it from the Internet will consume - it can potentially be a lot. In the next release or so I'll be adding some features to give you more control over connections from the Internet but until then I wouldn't put the server onto the Internet if you have a capped connection.

Dan Dare

Postby Dan Dare » August 16th, 2010, 8:24 am

To agw. Yes I didn't quite understand Anmer's response either.
My particular set-up I am running both Basestation and VirtualRadar Server on one computer
with two monitors. One for Basestation radar display and the other used for Basestation aircraft listing.
Also this computer has VirtualRadar Server installed.
A second computer with one monitor is used for VirtualRadar map display only, hence the request
to have the VirtualRadar aircraft listing to be toggled on/off so when in the off position more of the
tracking map is revealed.

sergsero

Postby sergsero » August 16th, 2010, 9:57 am

I thank for the wonderful program!
How to make, that at (auto)updating of file FlightNumbers.csv the data which are added by the user - my local area FlightNumbers, did not disappear?
For example, to make such two files - FlightNumbers.csv and FlightNumbers.local.csv...
Again, thanks for your program.

Return to “Development”