New ADS-B Sharing System

This forum is for users who are developing applications (or resources) to work alongside BaseStation (i.e. add-ons) and who wish to discuss development techniques.

Moderators: KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

leeus

New ADS-B Sharing System

Postby leeus » October 20th, 2010, 7:01 am

Hi All,

We (pinkfroot and Roger Tinembart) have been working hard over the last few months and wanted to create something that you can all be part of....so we have created ADSBHub.net!

ADSBHub.net is a sharing system that works in conjunction with all existing ADS-B receivers currently on the market and also all BaseStation addons!

The ADSBHub software listens to the 30003 output of BaseStation or PlanePlotter and feeds the data to a central server. The software passes that data locally back to you as another TCP socket that has all of your data unaltered. In return the output also includes all of the ADS-B data currently passing between all of the ADSBHub.net sharers. Currently there are 2 sharers (http://www.adsbhub.net/index.php/ads-b-statistics/) and we want this to grow and grow! The more people that join the more people that benefit!

ADSBhub is compatible with Plane Plotter and does not affect any sharing you currently do with COAA or MLAT. The software requires no ports opening on firewalls and the data usage is VERY light!

More information is available on http://www.adsbhub.net with the e-mail address to sign up there also. Setup is really simple and a download link will be sent to you with a configuration file that you simply double click on.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Please also note that we are building a list of add-ons too - if you would like yours added to the site just let us know.

Thanks,

Lee
ImagePlane Finder for iPhone - click image to download

Anmer

Re: New ADS-B Sharing System

Postby Anmer » October 20th, 2010, 8:43 am

Interesting development.

Isn't this Map ModeS in a different guise but with a much wider appeal and with the prospect of a much larger sharing community?

Pinkfroot is the company behind the iPhone Planefinder app.
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

leeus

Postby leeus » October 20th, 2010, 8:48 am

Yes I suppose it is in a way! We are hoping to make this big! The more people that sign up the more people that benefit!

DaveReid

Postby DaveReid » October 20th, 2010, 8:50 am

Anmer wrote:Isn't this Map ModeS in a different guise?

It doesn't sound like it.

This:

leeus wrote:The ADSBHub software listens to the 30003 output of BaseStation or PlanePlotter and feeds the data to a central server. The software passes that data locally back to you as another TCP socket that has all of your data unaltered. In return the output also includes all of the ADS-B data currently passing between all of the ADSBHub.net sharers.

implies that what you get is an augmented Port 30003 data stream, including other sharers' data. Unless Lee has developed a way to get this data format back into BaseStation à la MMS, it will need a client application like PlanePlotter to display it on your screen.

Interesting idea, though.

leeus

Postby leeus » October 20th, 2010, 8:55 am

Hi Dave,

Yes quite right. We work with any tool that can process 30003 output so Plane Plotter is one of them. What comes out of the client is an augmented feed with all the users data.

Lee

Anmer

Postby Anmer » October 20th, 2010, 9:17 am

Thanks Dave. I jumped to the wrong conclusion. I thought it was too good to be true :oops:
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » October 20th, 2010, 9:53 am

Anmer wrote:Thanks Dave. I jumped to the wrong conclusion. I thought it was too good to be true :oops:

If you consider MMS to be good :twisted:

I think running the output into the Virtual Radar web server app would be the way to go. (Virtual Basestation).

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » October 20th, 2010, 10:00 am

leeus wrote:Hi Dave,

Yes quite right. We work with any tool that can process 30003 output so Plane Plotter is one of them. What comes out of the client is an augmented feed with all the users data.

Lee

What is the update rate? That is, I assume you collect data for X seconds from all uploaders, and then output a smoothed data.

For example 10 seconds, 1 minute, etc??

Anmer

Postby Anmer » October 20th, 2010, 10:06 am

edgy31 wrote:If you consider MMS to be good :twisted:

As it happens I and over 50 others think MMS2 is very good.
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

leeus

Postby leeus » October 20th, 2010, 10:09 am

Update rate is live, we compress the data though and I believe the cycle time is curently set to 2 seconds so there will be that much delay in the system.

KineticChris
Site Admin

Postby KineticChris » October 20th, 2010, 10:12 am

So in essence yet another sharing network the only difference being it feeds the Iphone apps?

Has anyone written a port 30003 to Flightsim feed? now that would get me excited

Cheers
Chris Taylor

leeus

Postby leeus » October 20th, 2010, 10:23 am

Hi Chris,

It is another sharing network, but anyone can use the data that comes out for whatever purpose, it is fully open and anyone can join or leave at any time. It brings together a lot of users data as we had requests from some people to do something like this as quite rightly so they didn't want to share their data and get nothing out of it.

This project was started to hopefully be a reliable and stable sharing network. There is some impressive hardware behind the scenes that will make this a stable resource for any participants.

Lee

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » October 20th, 2010, 10:30 am

leeus wrote:Update rate is live, we compress the data though and I believe the cycle time is curently set to 2 seconds so there will be that much delay in the system.

Won't that cause a problem with tracks jumping around?

I would have thought a consolidation of where everyone thought the target was, would be needed. I know Basestation will plot data at the last location and then jump 10 miles when the data gets good again. But 10 Basestations may have 10 different "last" locations.

Just thinking out loud...

satcom

Postby satcom » October 20th, 2010, 10:55 am

leeus wrote:This project was started to hopefully be a reliable and stable sharing network. There is some impressive hardware behind the scenes that will make this a stable resource for any participants.

Lee

Is Planeplotter a Stable Sharing Network ?

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » October 20th, 2010, 10:58 am

satcom wrote:
leeus wrote:This project was started to hopefully be a reliable and stable sharing network. There is some impressive hardware behind the scenes that will make this a stable resource for any participants.

Lee

Is Planeplotter a Stable Sharing Network ?

Yes. The distinction would be 1 minute consolidated updates as opposed to live data, I would guess.

Return to “Development”