New ADS-B Sharing System

This forum is for users who are developing applications (or resources) to work alongside BaseStation (i.e. add-ons) and who wish to discuss development techniques.

Moderators: KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

satcom

Re: New ADS-B Sharing System

Postby satcom » October 20th, 2010, 11:05 am

When a user is hypersharing updates are every few seconds on PP :D

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » October 20th, 2010, 11:20 am

Since "Comet" technology came of age, I am surprised people are still writing raw TCP applications :twisted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(programming)

KineticChris
Site Admin

Postby KineticChris » October 20th, 2010, 11:43 am

But has anyone done a port 30003 to Flight sim conversion?
Chris Taylor

bones

Postby bones » October 20th, 2010, 11:52 am

But has anyone done a port 30003 to Flight sim conversion?

Rather off topic really and SBS doesn't output half the data needed to drive FS. Heading, track and position just aren't enough - the FS data stream is far more detailed.

sbsmobile

Postby sbsmobile » October 20th, 2010, 12:43 pm

Chris go to http://openatc.com/ and select
Flying with OpenATC data in X-Plane
You can fly in your own SBS Traffic or the OPEN ATC network traffic

Have fun

Chocs away
Cheers

Tag

leeus

Postby leeus » October 20th, 2010, 12:49 pm

Wow that is awesome, I've never used this before!

I suspect this will also work with adsbhub too!
ImagePlane Finder for iPhone - click image to download

sbsmobile

Postby sbsmobile » October 20th, 2010, 12:54 pm

I like it as an easy way to see my SBS at home but since virtualradarserver I have neglected it a bit

In fact virtualradarserver might work with ADSB Hub
Cheers

Tag

roger_tinembart

Postby roger_tinembart » October 21st, 2010, 4:19 am

edgy31 wrote:Won't that cause a problem with tracks jumping around?

No, nothing is jumping around.

First a few basics: The upload-rate (from the client to the server) is 2 s. Ths means, every 2 s, every client is uploading all its tracks to the server. There is a NTP-client included in the client which checks whether thy time of the client is accurate and - if not - is correcting the time of the system. So the Server is receiving all the position messages with correct timestamps and can decide which is the newest (most accurate) position for any plane at any time, even if the system time(s) of the client(s) are wrong. The server is merging all this data and is sending the merged data back to the clients. For this process, the download-rate is a little bit lower and is dependig an the position of the client compared to the position of the track. Near tracks are sent every 3 s to the clients, tracks which are far away every 6 or up to 12 s. But this is configurable and we wanted to start with average values. At the moment, we are only using the data we received, we are not calculating (predicting) values. It's possible to predict values in a future release if needed, but if this will be the case we will of course do the caluculations in the client to save bandwidth and we would use the last known speed, direction and climbrate to do the calculations.

We are using strong compression to make this possible, so don't worry about the bandwidth. The compression rate (SBS output compared to what we transmit) is about 95% and can even be better in the future.
Roger Tinembart

roger_tinembart

Postby roger_tinembart » October 21st, 2010, 4:30 am

edgy31 wrote:Since "Comet" technology came of age, I am surprised people are still writing raw TCP applications

In our aproach, we want to offer all the data to all the clients, and we want to do this withoug using huge amounts of bandwidth. Web-based technologies like soap, webservices etc. are of course cool and have the advantage of being easy to implement, but all of them need much bandwidth. For an example, take the eurocontrol standard protocol "Asterix" to transport ADSB-data. With this protocol, something around 50 bytes are needed to send a complete track including position, speed, alt, climbrate, callsing, quality indicators, timestamps, even the signal strength and some more informations. Now imagine what you can do with 50 bytes in a web based protocol: You don't even write the header of the message... This is the reason i did it the hard way (write a raw TCP application)
Roger Tinembart

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » October 21st, 2010, 2:50 pm

roger_tinembart wrote:This is the reason i did it the hard way

Looks like you are all having fun! I may get fiber out to the farm one of these days. I blew through my 5 gig cellular broadband by watching too many u-tube videos :shock:

Thanks for expanding on description of link.

caKus

Postby caKus » November 8th, 2010, 4:17 pm

KineticChris wrote:But has anyone done a port 30003 to Flight sim conversion?

Hi guys,

I am currently working on a project to interface port 30003 data with Microsoft FSX. The first step will be to populate FSX AI traffic from SBS data, the second will allow you to take the commands of any aircraft you see on your radar.

The first results are rather fascinating : you can see the aircraft thru your window (well, when the sky is clear ...) and, at the same time, the place where you live seen from the cockpit.

I will join adsbhub coming soon.

I will share this program with whose how are interrested when it is ready.

Regards.
Patrick.

DaveReid

Postby DaveReid » November 8th, 2010, 6:17 pm

I thought the conventional wisdom was that ADS-B doesn't provide anything like the number of parameters needed to simulate an aircraft that's doing anything other than flying straight and level ?
Last edited by DaveReid on November 8th, 2010, 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leeus

Postby leeus » November 8th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Adsbhub will provide pretty much realtime adsb streams in 30003 output. I know of some people using it for a similar flight sim tool.
ImagePlane Finder for iPhone - click image to download

ecuguru

Postby ecuguru » March 27th, 2011, 3:27 am

I expect the Mode-S non-ADSB connections get filtered out of the return feed, as there wouldn't be any way to know where they are? Any chance you can supplement the Mode-S return to include a station ID who's location could be looked up on your server? Neat idea, I'll jump in soon.

roger_tinembart

Postby roger_tinembart » March 27th, 2011, 9:11 am

Yes, at the moment we are only processing messages including position information: As soon as we receive position messages of a plane (MSG2 / MSG3 in Port 30003 Format), we are processing all data of this plane (MSG1/MSG4/MSG5/MSG6) and are reproducing the messages in the sharing clients as close to the 30003-Standard as possible. The only difference is that the fields 3, 4 and 6 (Session ID, Aircraft ID and Filght ID) are left blank in the output stream of our sharing client. These three fields are not meaningful in a shared environment because they are referring to the local database of the Basestation-Application of the original receiving station. It could be an idea to place information about the receiving station in one of these three fields, probably Field 3 (Session ID) could be a good candidate.

We were already thinking about delivering the position less messages also, but until now we did not find a good solution to deliver the information of the receiving station(s). Of course it's possible that messages from a plane not sending its position are getting received by different stations. Which station should we mention in our report? I guess that you are not really interested in the station, but you want to have a rough position information (is the plane around England, around Germany or so?). So another idea could be to divide the earth into a lot of regions and send the information of the region number where the plane is. This could also be helpful. Possibly there are more possibilities?

I would like to open up a discussion on this point. If you or other interested users of my sharing client running on adsbhub.net could tell me what you would like to do with the position less messages / what you would like to know (really the station ID, a rough position, ...) then we hopefully find a good solution.
Roger Tinembart

Return to “Development”