Socket Output Format

This forum is for users who are developing applications (or resources) to work alongside BaseStation (i.e. add-ons) and who wish to discuss development techniques.

Moderators: KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

edgy31

Re: Socket Output Format

Postby edgy31 » February 2nd, 2011, 7:47 am

Watching the raw output of another receiver I have, does show some aircraft spraying out data in bursts.

I've always thought of the socket interface as unfiltered. That is, pass it on, don't filter duplicates. The millisecond time being mostly a hack, as it would take probably assembly language to get that resolution from a PC running multiple applications.

Just my opinion, but I'd rather get too much data, and deal with it, than have it all quantitized and spit out in one message.

Maybe if it had a counter, like "last message received 27 times in the last second."

KineticChris
Site Admin

Postby KineticChris » February 2nd, 2011, 9:28 am

The time stamps are as I said Time sent by transponder and Time received by the SBS-1
Port 30003 sends what it receives so if you get 27 packets it will pass 27 packets to port 30003

The port is a transcribe of the raw data for 3rd party users to write there own stuff so no filtering is carried out of data in the included fields.

Regards
Chris Taylor

DaveReid

Postby DaveReid » February 2nd, 2011, 1:03 pm

KineticChris wrote:The time stamps are as I said Time sent by transponder and Time received by the SBS-1

I'm confused, Chris.

The SBS obviously knows what time it received the signal, but how does it know when the signal was sent by the transponder ?

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » February 2nd, 2011, 1:58 pm

Ignore the time, it serves no useful purpose.

If I were to guess, it is the timestamp when the packet from the SBS-1 was decoded, and the timestamp after it was written to the database.

Code: Select all

data = line.readLine();                 // Buffered line read  <data><cr><lf>
sqlTime.setTime(zulu.getUTCTime());     // current UTC time

Presto, you have a UTC timestamp in SQL Format. Local time is worthless on a network of receivers.

KineticChris
Site Admin

Postby KineticChris » February 2nd, 2011, 4:14 pm

DaveReid wrote:
KineticChris wrote:The time stamps are as I said Time sent by transponder and Time received by the SBS-1

I'm confused, Chris.

The SBS obviously knows what time it received the signal, but how does it know when the signal was sent by the transponder ?

Don't worry Dave you are not alone :?

Here are the lines from the original spec for the current port 30003 data

Field 7: Date message generated
Field 8: Time message generated
Field 9: Date message logged
Field 10: Time message logged

So Generated must be from received signal and and logged written to file.
I guess now the 5 minute delay has gone we could look at removing one of them but you can bet someone still uses both

Regards
Chris Taylor

jmhayes

Postby jmhayes » February 2nd, 2011, 5:07 pm

KineticChris wrote:Here are the lines from the original spec for the current port 30003 data ...

... which was written well before the change to the code to remove the 5-minute delay.

Which is why I'm asking you to ask someone who will look at the code. Documentation gets out of date easily and regularly; code is always right.

So Generated must be from received signal and and logged written to file.

Chris, please: I'm not asking you to speculate about what happens. I'm asking you if you can find someone in the company who can answer the question authoritatively. We don't need you to speculate: we're quite good at speculating ourselves! :)

If what you've written is literally true, I find it hard to believe that 27 copies of the same message would be written to the sqb file in the same millisecond. As near as I can tell, it's not the case by a long shot that each message generated results in data being written to the sqb. In fact, it appears to me that only up to three writes are done per Flight: one when the initial message is received, which has the StartTime; optionally later if the Callsign shows up; and one with the rest of the data from the Flight when it expires and is flushed.

If you don't want to find someone who can read the code and clear this up, just say so.

coupe

Postby coupe » February 2nd, 2011, 6:11 pm

What part of closed and proprietary is confusing people??

Take what you're given, and work with it. It's a black box.

There's enough software out there to completely replace Basestation. Why suffer??

KineticDavid
Site Admin

Postby KineticDavid » February 2nd, 2011, 6:15 pm

jmhayes wrote:
KineticChris wrote:I think ...

I will check in the morning ...

Ok, thanks.
If you can screenshot some for me it may help

I got this message 27 times:

Code: Select all

MSG,5,4,1161,A381B1,19180,2011/01/31,23:58:17.423,2011/01/31,23:58:17.425,,11700,,,,,,,0,,0,0

I get to read many messages on the forum but this is a prime example of a rude one and demonstrates little respect for the efforts of our team.
Perhaps you would prefer the example set by another forum where you would no longer be given the opportunity to air your thoughts.

When Chris sets out to assist you and writes in clear English rather than management speak -
Don't ridicule him as it makes you look ridiculous.

Halcones

Postby Halcones » February 2nd, 2011, 6:47 pm

Well said David
Kinetic Beta team member

DaveReid

Postby DaveReid » February 2nd, 2011, 8:50 pm

KineticChris wrote:I guess now the 5 minute delay has gone we could look at removing one of them but you can bet someone still uses both

If it ain't broke ...

bilbolodz

Postby bilbolodz » July 22nd, 2011, 8:06 pm

Hi,

What means "Field 18: SPI" field?

Piotr

bones

Postby bones » July 22nd, 2011, 8:28 pm

SPI (Ident) - Flag to indicate transponder Ident has been activated.

Return to “Development”