WNDOWS 98

For general (non-commercial) chat unrelated to aviation. Discuss your favourite films and books, get advice on places to visit, and let everyone know about your spiffing new homepage. WARNING: Standard UK pub rules apply, meaning absolutely no discussion of religion or politics (aviation related politics excepted) with the landlord's decision being final.

Moderators: KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

MANOFKENT

WNDOWS 98

Post by MANOFKENT » September 13th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Now don't call me an old freak, but I'm wondering something that is far beyond my computer skills.

I've read a bit about partitioning a HD but I wonder now if that would include having 2 OS on one drive. That's all I will ask, so is it possible?

TIA

Roger

MANOFKENT

Re: WNDOWS 98

Post by MANOFKENT » September 14th, 2013, 9:33 am

No replies? OK. I'll put it another way. Could I instead use my old Windows XP PC to install Windows 98?

DaveG

Post by DaveG » September 14th, 2013, 10:11 am

Hi Roger,

I'm a Mac user and enjoy virtual desktop products, so unsure if there is any thing like vmware or parallels for windows, if not then you could setup the machine to duel boot. Google search brings up a few, but here is one link that shows step by step.

Duel Boot:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3671_7-5021373-1.html
Running SBS-3 and Planeplotter code: F4

KineticChris
Site Admin

Post by KineticChris » September 14th, 2013, 7:32 pm

You need to dual boot
If you put two hdd drives in your machine and put win 98 on the C drive and XP on d drive it will work
However some modern PC's will have hardware Win 98 will not understand

Good luck I am sure you have a good reason :-)
Chris Taylor

MANOFKENT

Post by MANOFKENT » September 14th, 2013, 9:10 pm

Well Chris. Basically the reason why I want to bring it back to life is that I've been clearing out some old Amiga stuff, and as I first started off with Windows 97/98 back in the days I got interested, I have found some old Windows 98/Windows NT discs and thought I'd get into 98 again as I have some software games that won't work on the up to date Win XP and 7. Just thought I could try it to see what data there is on the discs. Even so, the new PC's that I have doesn't have the floppy drive, but I have purchased an external floppy so that's taken care of.

Thanks for the input guys anyway.

Roger

GaryG

Post by GaryG » September 15th, 2013, 7:08 am

Most recent BIOS programs allow you to choose the drive to boot from which should give you what you want. For that option you need to change the BIOS boot device order.

Even better, my last two motherboards allowed F8 (at the correct time of course) to open a list of all the storage devices it sees and you choose the one to boot from.

GaryG