Time for a true "Raw Data" output from SBS-1 ?

News and information about what new functionality and developments lie ahead for SBS systems and BaseStation.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

edgy31

Re: Time for a true "Raw Data" output from SBS-1 ?

Postby edgy31 » August 27th, 2011, 4:36 pm

satcom wrote:...to get Beamfinder working you need to enable the TIS B Air to Air and ADS-R functions in Basestation

What does the ADS-R enable do for Planeplotter?

I thought ADS-R was only in the USA and involves rebroadcasting ADS-B packets across the two frequencies.

I think you meant TCAS Air to Air, but I didn't think this used the Radar Identifier code.

Confusing, so I guess the SBS-1 checkboxes have nothing to do with their name?

Saudistu

Postby Saudistu » August 28th, 2011, 5:33 am

edgy31 wrote:
Saudistu wrote:I still don't see how this is possible without a Firmware update, unless the new Planeplotter is decoding the encrypted info ?

The scrambled data is fully decoded inside Basestation. With its new TCP port they can feed this unscrambled data. No firmware change neeeded.

Does this mean that the data stream from a classic SBS-1 gives different information ? The classic SBS-1 will output to Planeplotter on Port 30006, same as the -1e and -1er so unless
the newer versions give additional information I can't see how a classic cannot be used. Also, if what you need is indeed RAW data then surely a Firmware fix to the classic could sort
this out. Having said that, on Radarspotters site it is implied that there is no more support for the classic as it is no longer manufactured. Maybe the cost of creating a new Firmware
is prohibitive. Maybe though, owners of the SBS-1 classic would pay for this Firmware if it meant not having to spend hundreds of pounds on a replacement unit (for those of us that
want Beamfinding capabilities).

Noel White

Postby Noel White » August 28th, 2011, 6:21 am

satcom wrote:but to get Beamfinder working you need to enable the TIS B Air to Air and ADS-R functions in Basestation using Ver 161 and the latest firmware

Have a SBS-1e with firmware ver 402 and see in the Kinetic eStore that ver 519 is available for 1e and ver 517 for 1er. Downloaded 519 and ProgUSBLattice, but it failed to do the firmware upgrade.

Anybody else having the same problem?
Cheers for now,

Noel

Anmer

Postby Anmer » August 28th, 2011, 6:58 am

Try downloading SBS-fs from the SBS-Resources website.

Easiest method of upgrading firmware for all SBS-1 models.
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

edgy31

Postby edgy31 » August 28th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Saudistu wrote:Does this mean that the data stream from a classic SBS-1 gives different information ?

I see what you mean, yes, obviously you must need a new firmware, as the SBS-1 previously zero'd out the Interrogator Identifier and Parity.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the older SBS-1. I "think" maybe it had less RAM in it, and the newer models fixed that.

RDG

Postby RDG » August 28th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Chris Can you please explain if it is necessary to upgrade the Firmware as at the moment
I appear to have the SBS-1eR MLATing and Beam finding with the Firmware 517 and 161 Software.

What extra does the new Firmware do?

Dave.

satcom

Postby satcom » August 28th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Dave , while waiting for confirmation from Chris , I would stick with what you have.

I have the same config here and its running very well....Beamfinder is running , raw data is good for Mlat

John

Anmer

Postby Anmer » August 28th, 2011, 5:47 pm

The Kinetic eStore lists three sets of SBS-1 firmware:

SBS-1
SBS-1e
SBS1-eR

The notes for the SBS-1e firmware states that it's only suitable for the SBS-1e and SBS-1eR.

The notes for the SBS-1eR state that it's only suitable for the SBS-1eR.

On downloading each, they appear to be the same - L_0603_0000_0519_B_300310.kff.

I'm currently using firmware 306. My currently installed version of SBS-fs is 1.4.

The current version of SBS-fs on the SBS-Resources website is also 1.4 and installs Basestation version 159.

The SBS-Resources website doesn't state the version number for SBS-fs nor does SBS-fs state what firmware version it installs or if the Basestation update is for 159 or 161. Since SBS-fs is the recommended update utility maybe this can be made more obvious?

Maybe, after the weekend, Chris at Kinetic can clarify what versions of firmware are required for each SBS-1 model and which ones can take full advantage of PP 6.1.1.6 (both for Mlat and Beamfinder raw data) and maybe update the Kinetic eStore and SBS-fs website so we're in no doubt about which firmware versions we should use and show version numbers for fimware and Basestation?
Anmer
Radarspotting.com
Radarspotting since 2005

Peter

Postby Peter » August 28th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Well I've successfully, after numerous attempts, downloaded firmware version 159 onto a memory stick, which I understand is only for the SBS-1er. It certainly doesn't say whether this is the 1er, the 1er early version, or the 1er latest with UHF facilities. I've also downloaded the ProgUsbLattice after a similar succession of corrupted attempts. Problem (1) ProgUsbLattice brings up the firmware loading square with an error in the middle which comes and goes so fast, even on the old XP3 computer, that it is impossible to read.
Plan 2: Do it the easy way via the latest SBS resources programme. I know that I have an SBS-1er, the aerial is disconnected and it is fed via a USB port. However, follow the proceedure through, nothing happens! Same black square comes up with a similar length comment, but impossible to read because it has vanished in a fraction of a second!
I guess that I will abort, and reconnect it back up until after the holidays!

Peter

DaveReid

Postby DaveReid » August 28th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Peter wrote:Same black square comes up with a similar length comment, but impossible to read because it has vanished in a fraction of a second!

How about running it from the command line and redirecting the output into a file ?

bones

Postby bones » August 29th, 2011, 1:14 am

The notes for the SBS-1e firmware states that it's only suitable for the SBS-1e and SBS-1eR.

The notes for the SBS-1eR state that it's only suitable for the SBS-1eR.

On downloading each, they appear to be the same - L_0603_0000_0519_B_300310.kff.

I think that page needs bringing up to date. I installed L_0603_0000_0519_B_300310.kff when it first came out and on an SBS-1e so it obviously works for both the 1e and 1er. As you say the page says different.

Peter

Postby Peter » August 29th, 2011, 7:43 am

Thanks to both Dave and Bones. I did "manage" to load it eventually, but after connecting the rig back up again in the loft, I discovered that the firmware number hadn't changed on the "about" screen! So I've either got the new version in, but the version number is wrong in the descriptor, (unlikely), or the version downloaded was corrupted and it actually aborted loading, when I thought that a loading had been OK. If the latter was the case, I guess I'm lucky that it didn't leave me with corrupted firmware in the SBS itself!
I used up two orders, i.e. 6 downloadings yesterday to try and find an uncorrupted download, so I'll re-order again this morning, 3rd time lucky?

Peter

KineticChris
Site Admin

Postby KineticChris » August 29th, 2011, 8:14 am

Peter
if you telnet port 30006 or have the latest PP connected to port 30006 and it works you have done it
The about box will show the last version as the latest version

If you have any further doubts please email suport@kinetic.co.uk

Regards
Chris Taylor

spotter

Postby spotter » August 30th, 2011, 4:24 pm

Saudistu wrote: ...if what you need is indeed RAW data then surely a Firmware fix to the classic could sort this out. Having said that, on Radarspotters site it is implied that there is no more support for the classic as it is no longer manufactured. ....(for those of us that want Beamfinding capabilities).

Having waited until the end of the bank holiday weekend for some sort of comment from Kinetic, but what is to happen to the original customer base? We were the ones that the SBS1 success was built upon!!

Cheers, Paul
(With Mk1 brick sized brick?)
Over the North East - http://www.OtNE.co.uk
North East flight monitoring and flyover alerts

TG

Postby TG » August 30th, 2011, 5:57 pm

spotter wrote:Having waited until the end of the bank holiday weekend for some sort of comment from Kinetic, but what is to happen to the original customer base? We were the ones that the SBS1 success was built upon!!

Cheers, Paul
(With Mk1 brick sized brick?)

In February 2011, when Kinetic added TCAS decoding to SBS-1er boxes, I asked the same question and the answer was:

KineticDavid wrote:At Kinetic we pay a lot of respect to our customers, past , present and future. We do not charge for upgrades and we endevour to pick the best and most requested features that we are asked for.

It is simply not possible to roll out new functionality all the time on all platforms, and like other companies, we focus on producing code releases for the most recent of products.
As and when time permits, and if the hardware design permits, we will roll out similar functionality for earlier products. Our engineers and developers are funded by our current sales and a sense of pride in their
work and that requires commercial focus. I truly wonder how popular the idea of paying for firmware upgrades would be with our customers.

Please don't assume that our roll out plan excludes possible releases !!

Regards

David

Since then there has been no news from Kinetic about possibility of new firmware for classic SBS-1s.

Return to “News / Announcements”