SBS-3

News and information about what new functionality and developments lie ahead for SBS systems and BaseStation.

Moderators: admin, KineticChris, KineticDavid, Moderators

clubbtraxx

Re: SBS-3

Postby clubbtraxx » November 15th, 2011, 3:36 pm

tarbat wrote:I also emailed Chris yesterday asking a simple question - "Can you tell me a firm date when AIS decoding and display of aircraft and ships in an integrated display will definately be available?"
No response after 24 hours.

It depends who's asking... With your history here and being a beta tester for a competitors product, what do you expect?
Also a lot of people here remember your endless whining about this or that thing wrong with KA products etc etc, so I wouldn't hold your breath for an answer if I were you :roll:

Keith D

Postby Keith D » November 18th, 2011, 8:47 am

Hi

wonder if someone can answer the simple question
does this new unit connect to basestation or is the software inside it and it just connects to the screen
i tried blowing up the picture provided of the rear but its been taken with a very low Res camera apparently and pixulates immediatly

one comment

i see there are 2 antenna connectors
now they appear to claiming multi funtion

1] ads_b [1090MHz]
2] VHF airband centre of band approx 131.000 MHZ
3] UHF airband most in the mid 200.000MHz band
4] AIS approx 161.000.MHz

i make that 4 dedicated antennas if you are going to get the best from it

4 totally different antennas into 2 sockets doesn't fly unless we start adding SP3 splitters at 70 quid a go

cheers

K/

Peter

Postby Peter » November 18th, 2011, 9:36 am

I tried the same exercise as Keith a few days ago, and had to give up. My point of interest was how does it get its supply, there doesn't appear to be a DC input socket either. I believe the socket visible is a speaker socket, so it has to take its supply from a USB connection. If running remotely say in a loft or attic, then it seems that USB + Ethernet connections would be required. I did see that Halfords were sell chargers for SatNavs with a USB connection on the end, but these would not be classed as a regulated power supply so may infringe any warranty!
All will be revealed soon?

Peter

Peter

Postby Peter » November 18th, 2011, 9:36 am

Error, duplicated
Last edited by Peter on November 18th, 2011, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paulm

Postby Paulm » November 18th, 2011, 9:40 am

Hello Keith

Regarding your antenna comments, I would expect a Discone to work well for both VHF airband and Ais Frequencies and although the discone would cover the UHF airband it would be very poor compared with a dedicated UHF Airband antenna.
The original article in Radio User magazine says "one dedicated Mode-S receiver for 1090MHZ and two completely independent software defined receivers"
So I would have expected to see 3 antenna sockets.
The best price I have seen recently for the SP3 splitter is more like £95 which is getting a bit expensive.

Paul

sbsmobile

Postby sbsmobile » November 18th, 2011, 11:49 am

I have PCR 1500,AOR8600,PCR1000 FRG-9600 & Standard AX700 all with only one antenna connector and I use a 4 way antenna switches for them
I will do the same again for the SBS-3 I use Alpha Delta 4BN switches that cost about £90.00 but for me money well spent.
As to Antennas I have 3 Discones 2 Moonraker AR90 antenna, a Diamond V2000 and a D777 plus a Welbeck loop for HF

So one antenna socket is normal and not an issue
Cheers

Tag

Paulm

Postby Paulm » November 18th, 2011, 12:01 pm

Hello Sbsmobile

I would be very interested in your comments on the Diamond V2000 for vhf and uhf airband use rather than the D777
I have been thinking about making some changes at this end
Thanks

Paul

sbsmobile

Postby sbsmobile » November 18th, 2011, 12:21 pm

V2000 is good I prefer it to D-777 on UHF but on VHF airband there seems more noise but to be fair I have Westflex on the V2000 and RG213 on the D777's
Kinetic Chris sold me the V2000 about 10 years ago in Ealing and it has been my main scanning antenna since then so if I was only having one antenna it would be the V-2000

Definately off to work now

Sent from my Ipad so excuse any typos!
Cheers

Tag

clubbtraxx

Postby clubbtraxx » November 18th, 2011, 1:37 pm

sbsmobile wrote:I have PCR 1500,AOR8600,PCR1000 FRG-9600 & Standard AX700 all with only one antenna connector and I use a 4 way antenna switches for them
I will do the same again for the SBS-3 I use Alpha Delta 4BN switches that cost about £90.00 but for me money well spent.
As to Antennas I have 3 Discones 2 Moonraker AR90 antenna, a Diamond V2000 and a D777 plus a Welbeck loop for HF

So one antenna socket is normal and not an issue

Well spoken mate, it is not like each and every wide-band receiver on the market has tons of antenna inputs, so likewise the SBS-3 does not have or really need them.

Paulm

Postby Paulm » November 18th, 2011, 1:50 pm

Thanks Tag I very much appreciate your comments
I have AR5001D, R8500, SR2000, RD500, VR5000 and the standard AX700.
I dont have the space you have for aerials but can manage a Discone, a very old Dressler ARA900 active antenna and a dual band vertical in the loft.
I usually use the Discone for VHF and the ARA900 for UHF.
Living on the edge of a large town can be a problem with noise but I discovered the SSE filters HPF-0706A for Uhf air band and the ABF0604 for Vhf air band. These certainly help to clean things up when listening to aircraft, but of course need to be removed when scanning on frequencies outside these bands.

Thanks for your thoughts

Paul

Mixism

Postby Mixism » November 18th, 2011, 1:59 pm

I'm guessing looking at little information coming out Kinetic. To extend the distance away from the PC, we might need tools like....

http://www.streakwave.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=AW-POE-USB

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=poe+5+volt&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16821089829816338924&sa=X&ei=AmPGTv3KAcOKsQKnwck5&ved=0CEYQ8wIwBg

Anyone else seen a mold ethernet to usb cable?

Later

Keith D

Postby Keith D » November 18th, 2011, 8:29 pm

Paulm wrote:Hello Keith
Regarding your antenna comments, I would expect a Discone to work well for both VHF airband and Ais Frequencies and although the discone would cover the UHF airband it would be very poor compared with a dedicated UHF Airband antenna.
The original article in Radio User magazine says "one dedicated Mode-S receiver for 1090MHZ and two completely independent software defined receivers"
The best price I have seen recently for the SP3 splitter is more like £95 which is getting a bit expensive.
Paul

Thanks
Been playing with radio for about 50 years now
discones are totally useless as far as i am concerned the only good antenna is one cut to the exact frequency

i still say to cover all we will need 4 dedicated antennas
i have 3 already just dont have AIS freq antenna

havent bothered with the maths yet but would be interesting to see where a 5/8 wave 2 Metre ham band antenna
fits with 161 MHz is it half wave or very close ??

cheers

K/

Truetrack

Postby Truetrack » November 18th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Keith D wrote:
Paulm wrote:Hello Keith
Paul

Thanks
Been playing with radio for about 50 years now
discones are totally useless as far as i am concerned the only good antenna is one cut to the exact frequency

i still say to cover all we will need 4 dedicated antennas
i have 3 already just dont have AIS freq antenna

havent bothered with the maths yet but would be interesting to see where a 5/8 wave 2 Metre ham band antenna
fits with 161 MHz is it half wave or very close ??

cheers

K/

I have same opinion as Paulm
next to 1090 those two independant receivers should have its own Ant-socket, at least to cover VHF and UHF seperately.
The Discones are only good for scanning, otherwise even less sensitive than dedicated Dipoles.

@Keith
a designed 5/8 for 2m HAM is then more than that for the higher freq thus shorter wavelength of some 1.86 meters
and should be close to 3/4 then.

regards
Klaus

Keith D

Postby Keith D » November 18th, 2011, 10:57 pm

[/quote]
I have same opinion as Paulm
next to 1090 those two independant receivers should have its own Ant-socket, at least to cover VHF and UHF seperately.
The Discones are only good for scanning, otherwise even less sensitive than dedicated Dipoles.
@Keith
a designed 5/8 for 2m HAM is then more than that for the higher freq thus shorter wavelength of some 1.86 meters
and should be close to 3/4 then.
regards[/quote]

Yup 3/4 wave is quite close
mind you if you are near enough to the coast i suspect theres loads of commercial AIS antennas on the market
for boat owners
google search seems to throw up a good selection

K/

sbsmobile

Postby sbsmobile » November 22nd, 2011, 9:46 am

There are discones and discones
A good quality discone will work well but as per my earlier post antenna switches are the best way.
If you want good isolation etc you need a good switch and if you look at the size of a good switch it is obvious why manufacturers leave them outside the box.The New Win Radio at £5000 with HF-3500mHz coverage only has one socket so I guess we are lucky the SBS-3 has 2
Cheers

Tag

Return to “News / Announcements”